Black spots on all NGK spark plugs

Hi.
Recently changed the plugs on the car....I noticed on ALLof the plugs had black and burned spots on the Insulator tips. see pics.

The car is a carburetor engine 1.3cc Mitsubishi lancer 2005 year.

Plugs were NGK BP5E Vgrooved. This is a hot plug which is recommensed by the manufacturer as the var has a high compression ratio.

What is causing these black and burned spots.
IMG_20200922_101055.jpg
IMG_20200922_101206.jpg
IMG_20200922_101055.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_101141.jpg
    IMG_20200922_101141.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
Carbureted engine in 2005? What?

Yeah, I know.....thats what we have to contend with in developing nations....the sacrifice citizens make to assist the country....
pay premium for old n cheap tech....so that the govt can gain revenue for nation development....unfortunately the money is fleeced by leaders n their crony friwnds n family.

I have one plug that is similiar to yours. About twice a year I have to replace it because the plug will start to misfire. Since all your plugs are affected, I would make sure your PCV system is working properly and your breather filter is clear.

Last edited:
I have one plug that is similiar to yours. About twice a year I have to replace it because the plug will start to misfire. Since all your plugs are affected, I would make sure your PCV system is working properly and your breather filter is clear.
Yes tq....point noted. its started to misfire thats why i replaced them.

And good point on the pcv...my pcv clogs up fast and I have to clean it with carb cleaner once a week...Its a direct one way valve frm the rocker cover to the intake manifold...guess I better install an oil catch can.

That should minimize oil entering the combustion chambers...
I DonT have white or blue smoke frm the exhaust. im guessing my piston rings need replacement....

Thx.

Are you using any kind of fuel additive that contains oil?
No oil additive...just regular unleaded gas 95.
Yes tq....point noted. its started to misfire thats why i replaced them.

And good point on the pcv...my pcv clogs up fast and I have to clean it with carb cleaner once a week...Its a direct one way valve frm the rocker cover to the intake manifold...guess I better install an oil catch can.

That should minimize oil entering the combustion chambers...
I DonT have white or blue smoke frm the exhaust. im guessing my piston rings need replacement....

Thx.

Not sure if there is a seal for the spark plug tube?
In most cars, it is part of the valve cover gasket replacement.

Hi there nazz. The simple fix is to just replace the plugs with some spark plug extenders. It's not a perfect solution but will get you more miles without the plugs fouling.

While you are at it run a compression check to see if it's the head or the rings. Do a base check and take note. Then squirt some oil in the hole. If compression goes up it's your rings. If it stays the same it's your valves.

Don't sandblast. When it misfires knock the big stuff off with a wire brush then put the plugs in a car that doesn't burn oil and drive a few highway miles. They'll be nice and clean and ready to put back into your car.

Hi there nazz. The simple fix is to just replace the plugs with some spark plug extenders. It's not a perfect solution but will get you more miles without the plugs fouling.

While you are at it run a compression check to see if it's the head or the rings. Do a base check and take note. Then squirt some oil in the hole. If compression goes up it's your rings. If it stays the same it's your valves.
Very well. duly noted. thx for the suggestion.

Don't sandblast. When it misfires knock the big stuff off with a wire brush then put the plugs in a car that doesn't burn oil and drive a few highway miles. They'll be nice and clean and ready to put back into your car.
Great suggestion....ill keep the plugs for that.

Back