Biobased Synthetic Motor Oil Using High-Oleic Soybean Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ka9mnx

How true! I remember when the first corn products were converted to ethanol. People were screaming that we were converting food to fuel. BTW: we are the only mammals that consume soy beans.

You either are willfully ignorant or are severely challenged. Soybeans are a staple of animal feed mixes in livestock and especially poultry production. The farmed fish producers really go for soybean meal. Deer love to graze in soybean fields. 97% of the soybean meal in the U.S is used for livestock and poultry. Just about any given morning or evening I can see whitetail deer in the soybean fields in my area. Maybe Colorado Mule deer are not fond of soybeans. I haven't looked into that. Many other wildlife species frequent soybean fields. Vermin will invade soybean meal storage facilities and consume it.

In terms of soybeans for livestock and poultry feed, it is soybean meal that is used. The oil is pressed out. The soybean oil used to be a waste byproduct until biodiesel and other uses for it opened up a demand. That some are finding even more uses for soybean oil is not surprising.

Originally Posted by badtlc
All the current studies support abiotic oil. There is currently no evidence to support the limited fossil based theory. Even NASA's findings throughout the solar system over the last decade support the abiotic theory.

Oooookaaaay. Whatever you say.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder if longer term testing is underway?

How many acres of these soybeans would it take to produce a meaningful percentage of our oil needs? Would these soybean crops supplant current food crops?

Lots of questions.

How true! I remember when the first corn products were converted to ethanol. People were screaming that we were converting food to fuel. BTW: we are the only mammals that consume soy beans.

One result was a shortage of feed which led to beef herds being reduced which in turn caused a big increase in the price of beef which we still pay today.

Getting back on topic, this sounds like a good use for something that was underutilized before. A example of another product that uses plant oils is Lubegard Biotech which includes esters made from rapeseed oil.

Still, I would like to see some results of long term testing like how some manufacturers have test engines that run for long and hard periods. Mobil and Valvoline have these tests. Maybe a independent test organization out there could do it. Put 100k on a engine and see if there are any issues with these compounds.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

You either are willfully ignorant or are severely challenged. Soybeans are a staple of animal feed mixes in livestock and especially poultry production. The farmed fish producers really go for soybean meal. Deer love to graze in soybean fields. 97% of the soybean meal in the U.S is used for livestock and poultry. Just about any given morning or evening I can see whitetail deer in the soybean fields in my area. Maybe Colorado Mule deer are not fond of soybeans. I haven't looked into that. Many other wildlife species frequent soybean fields. Vermin will invade soybean meal storage facilities and consume it.

In terms of soybeans for livestock and poultry feed, it is soybean meal that is used. The oil is pressed out. The soybean oil used to be a waste byproduct until biodiesel and other uses for it opened up a demand. That some are finding even more uses for soybean oil is not surprising.

Oh my God! I'm not talking processed food here. Any animals, Humans included, eat processed foods, Come on! I have never seen Deer, or rabbits or pheasants, eat soy beans. And, yes, feed is made from soy beans after the oil has been extracted (which is why soy beans are raised). The Deer you see in the fields are grazing on other roughage.

Anyways, we are off topic. Enough said...

How many acres of these soybeans would it take to produce a meaningful percentage of our oil needs? Would these soybean crops supplant current food crops?

Lots of questions.

I remember our NASTY soybean "hamburgers" they fed us in grade school,yuck! Compete with the drawn on grill marks haha!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Lots of questions.

I remember our NASTY soybean "hamburgers" they fed us in grade school,yuck! Compete with the drawn on grill marks haha!

Fortunately they hadn't thought of such things in the sixties when I was in grade school. Hamburgers were simple though. A small thin patty of beef and the bun. That was it.

We were subjected to canned sauerkraut once a week though. You could smell that stuff throughout the school. Horrid stuff.

We got the soybean burgers in high school, that would have been in the mid to late 70s. I remember them, I think they were a synthetic blend, not straight synthetic
wink.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
We got the soybean burgers in high school, that would have been in the mid to late 70s. I remember them, I think they were a synthetic blend, not straight synthetic
wink.gif

Haha yep! Grade school in the mid to late 70s here!
laugh.gif

I'm intrigued by the term "Biobased" and the percentages on the labels. A USDA flyer I found states:

What Are Biobased Products?
Biobased products, designated by the Secretary of Agriculture, are commercial or industrial products that are composed in whole, or in significant part, of biological products or renewable domestic agricultural materials or forestry materials.

This Biosynthetic Motor Oil states 26% . Castrol Edge Biosynthetic states 25% . And RLI states 74%!
Does anyone know how RLI can be 74%? Seems to me that the metallic add pack would be more than 26% of the oil.
21.gif

Last edited:
Buy soy futures, good for feeding chickens and making "synthetic" oil. So they hydrocrack it and make it synthetic? If not what process makes them call this natural product synthetic?

Originally Posted by burla
Buy soy futures, good for feeding chickens and making "synthetic" oil. So they hydrocrack it and make it synthetic? If not what process makes them call this natural product synthetic?

Probably the same one that makes them call polyalphaolefin synthetic when it is derived from ethylene which is produced from cracked natural hydrocarbons.

The term "synthetic" refers not to the source, but to the process. As kschachn points out, ultimately it all came out of nature at some point.

biosynthetic -
adjective Biochemistry.
of, relating to, or characterized by biosynthesis, the formation of chemical compounds by a living organism, or a laboratory process modeled after these reactions in living organisms.
of or relating to a substance produced by a biosynthetic process.

Originally Posted by Biolubricants:Rawmaterialschemical modificationsandenvironmentalbenefits
Basic properties and benefits of biolubricant
...The term biolubricants applies to all lubricants that are both rapidly biodegradable and nonâ€toxic to humans and aquatic environments. A biolubricant may be plant oilâ€based (e.g., rapeseed oil) or derived from synthetic esters manufactured from modified renewable oils or from mineral oilâ€based products 18, 20. Table 4 summarizes some of the benefits of biolubricants...

...The chemical modification of plant oils by addition reactions to the double bonds constitutes a promising manner of obtaining valuable commercial products from renewable raw materials. In order to use plant oilâ€based lubricants with special additives, chemical modifications, de novo synthesis, breeding, and/or biotechnology play an important role. These methods improve the performance and stability of base oils in lubricating formulations...

From, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ejlt.200900205

The so called "Bio-Lubricants" today are actually mixtures of GroupIV, Group V esters, and bio-based oils.

Virgin vegetable oils cannot be used in an IC engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back