Bio-SynXtra All-Season UTF

Urp

I have been using John Deere Bio Hy-Gard in my compact tractor for a number of years and it has been fine; however the price has increased dramatically over the years. The local dealer just quoted me over $400 for 5 gallons.

Renewable lubricants offers what appears to be a similar (biodegradable) product at a more reasonable price- Bio-SynXtra All-Season UTF. I know very little about renewable lubricants (the company) and I am worried about the potential for damage to my tractor.

Wondering if anyone can offer a opinion on Bio-SynXtra All-Season UTF specifically or Renewable lubricants (the company) more generally ? Is this product likely to result in premature wear or damage ? Is it more or less equivalent to Bio Hy-Gard ?

Renewable Lubes over 15 years ago was the BITOG flavor of the month.
In addition to their HOBS ester, their niche is copper & antimony as part of the additive package

But, keep in mind, it's going to have some other basestocks in there, such as PAO, and they use some conventional oil as a carrier for their additive package

I know RLI for a time was the darling of some here. What grade is the John Deere? The hydrostats in my ZT are Hydro-Gear ZT-3100s and take a 20w50.

I am not sure if yours is the same (edit: I see it’s 10w30) but in addition to Amsoil, HPL also makes a line for small OPE; the hydro fluid is the “Tractor Life” line, and the 10w30/10w40 is called Small Engine Life. I’m sure they could whip up some 10w30 if you’re interested…

Also, I saw on the really detailed TDS for RLI, that fluid lost 6% of its viscosity to mechanical shear. That’s pretty significant; means there are a lot of viscosity index improvers involved since there is a VI of 202… I’d check the Deere fluid if you can find specs like that, but I’d want something more shear-stable, personally…

I saw a bunch of older threads about renewable lubricants motor oil. I was not sure how relevant these were to performance in my tractor hydrostat.

If their UTF has significant antimony content that might be a negative for a product that is supposed to be more environmentally benign. (isn't antimony fairly toxic..).

What is the pro/con for HOBS ester ?

SubieRubyRoo, thanks for the comment about shear stability. I wish I had a number for bio hy-gard so I could compare.

I saw a bunch of older threads about renewable lubricants motor oil. I was not sure how relevant these were to performance in my tractor hydrostat.

If their UTF has significant antimony content that might be a negative for a product that is supposed to be more environmentally benign. (isn't antimony fairly toxic..).

What is the pro/con for HOBS ester ?

SubieRubyRoo, thanks for the comment about shear stability. I wish I had a number for bio hy-gard so I could compare.

HPL does have some fluids that are environmentally benign fluids, but I am not sure which ones… they use Novvi base oils IIRC… and are >95% biodegradable within 28 days.

Anti shill notice:

I’m friends with senior leadership of the company. As we live in the same area, support the same things. Etc.

I think they’re a good company that sells a niche product. And when they’re in their niche, it’s really good.

I, coming from the major oil marketer side of the world, don’t always see eye to eye with them on their product line up. But, I think they’re genuinely good people.

Unless you *need* a bio hydraulic fluid, I wouldn’t necessarily run one. If you do *need* one, theirs is definitely a solid answer with a proven track record around where I am. That’s on you to decide.

I have been using John Deere Bio Hy-Gard in my compact tractor for a number of years and it has been fine; however the price has increased dramatically over the years. The local dealer just quoted me over $400 for 5 gallons.

Renewable lubricants offers what appears to be a similar (biodegradable) product at a more reasonable price- Bio-SynXtra All-Season UTF. I know very little about renewable lubricants (the company) and I am worried about the potential for damage to my tractor.

Wondering if anyone can offer a opinion on Bio-SynXtra All-Season UTF specifically or Renewable lubricants (the company) more generally ? Is this product likely to result in premature wear or damage ? Is it more or less equivalent to Bio Hy-Gard ?

I dont understand spending $400 when a 5 gallon bucket of hygard is $125. Reuse the fluid after you are done with it, like deck boards, or wood posts or stain. I guarantee that any non-biodegratable fluids are being re-sold or rerefined into supertech and/or used on cruise ships and tankers.

Renewable Lubricants Incorporated has been using various bio-derived base oils for over 20 years. BTW, many of these bio oils were developed at the University of Northern Iowa.

Most of the research on vegetable oils and their derivatives were executed at the University of Northern Iowa (Cedar Falls) by Dr. Lou Honary, who now heads Environmental Lubricants Manufacturing, Inc. of Grundy Center, Iowa.

Dr. Lou Honary worked closely with RLI's president William W. Garmier in developing many of RLI's formulations. Any formulation involving vegetable oils and their derivatives require a special additive package to inhibit oxidation.

And HOBS do have natural FM qualities as well, but they cannot provide sufficient FM activity on their own.

Many of RLI's lubricants contain other base oils (minor amounts to arrive at a specific target) such as synthesized hydrocarbons (PAO's) and synthesized esters.

The main appeal for HOB's is their biodegradability. Heavy metal-type additives are usually excluded from biodegradeable oils for agricultural use.

I dont understand spending $400 when a 5 gallon bucket of hygard is $125. Reuse the fluid after you are done with it, like deck boards, or wood posts or stain. I guarantee that any non-biodegratable fluids are being re-sold or rerefined into supertech and/or used on cruise ships and tankers.
What I was trying to say is, RL is a good choice for biodegradable lubes, as is HPL.

Back