Bicycle Bars on String Trimmer

What are your thoughts on bicycle bars on a string trimmer? Yea or Nay?

Handlebars and a harness are necessary if you're using an aggressive enough blade, as they could take an arm or leg off in an instant. Literally like running a circular saw at the end of a stick.

After owning multiple big box trimmers over the years, I broke down and bought a Stihl FS56c with bicycle bar handles. I love it. Every time I use it, I think back to those wasted years of using inferior products.

That should tell you how glad I am I took the plunge. Just do it.

For light work that needs meneuverabilty, i find you can't beat a small, lightweight curved shaft. But for extended work, heavy or tall grass, weeds, you can't beat the bike handles and a harness.

I personally find string trimming to be more comfortable with a long straight shaft trimmer with a padded single handle and pole mounted throttle lever. No need for bicycle handles and in most cases causes you to subconsciessly twist your back and lot more as it is awkward to hold the unit with your arms spaced out from your body.

On the other hand, when using a metal blade of any kind for any purpose, im afraid you will require the bicycle handles for safety as stated above. And with that type of work you are not twisting your back as much.

My very old Craftsman (1992?) has heavy duty handle bars. Comes in very handy when I put the circular saw blade on.

I like the handlebars on my trimmers. I have two: one for whacking and the other for cutting down saplings. Both of them have handlebars and they are great to a point.

I mean great as in they are better than just a straight shaft handle but at 6'-5" I would still like a "tall guy" longer version. But that probably won't happen and so that is just my lot in life.

Handlebars and a harness are almost absolutely necessary when running a blade especially for extended periods but for string trimming around the house I find the standard loop handle to be easier and faster to maneuver. That said, I have a dedicated brush cutter(with solid shaft) and a dedicated string trimmer.

Depends on how long you're trimming. If it's 1/2 hour at a time then you probably have some rough areas that need more power and handlebars to control it and a harness to spread the weight. If it's short duty then it's overkill, bulky and not worth the bother to get them, assuming as others mentioned that you can't have a metal blade on it... UNLESS you have a bad back. A long shaft, harness and handlebars is much easier on a bad back.

Then again if the vegetation is light and the duty is short "enough", the time may have arrived where cordless electric makes sense. Pushing a trigger to start a cordless is easier on a bad back than pull starting. I wouldn't even consider gas if you can get the job done in ~15 minutes or divide it up so you don't need multiple or high capacity batteries, which start to get expensive for the decent 40V or higher cordless.

Back