Best Synthetic Oil For Cleaning

My sons new style 2004 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 3 valve engine, 60K miles, still seems to be a bit dirty inside the engine. He has been letting the Ford dealership he works at, change his oil every 3-5K miles.
When he was changing it this past weekend l noticed it was very dirty for 5K miles. Before he bought the truck it had sat in a garage for almost 8 years. He bought it with 4.8K miles on it and the oil had not been changed in almost 9 years! This OCI he used Ansoil Signature Series 5W30 oil. I don't know anything about Amsoils cleaning abilities, so anyone that does know, please educate me. I'm thinking he should use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, or M1 5W30 next OCI @ 3K miles to clean it out even more.
Opinions please? Thank You!
smile.gif

For sludge cleaning

Castrol GTX ultraclean

New M1 EP 20K mile

Or if you can find it on clearance @ Tractor Supply M1 Truck/SUV 5qt jug $11+ tax

Dave

It ain't cheap but if you really want some cleaning power, I'd look into 10w30 Valvoline Premium Blue restore, would probably cost about $150 or so for the two gallons you need.

I would choose any HDEO diesel rated oil (rotella, delvac, etc)....

And just before OCI I would pour in any solvent for flushing....or 1-2 dcl (dunno how much oz is that) of diesel fuel. .. And would run engine with that mix for 5minutes (stationary)...and dump it after...

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
For cleaning sludge, you need solvents. Red Line HP 5w-30 is up to 40% ester, a heavy solvent. That would be a better choice for you.

+1

You don't need over priced oil and you don't need to get it pristine in a single OCI. You mentioned two good choices in your original post. A couple 5k runs on one or each of those and it will be normal …

Originally Posted by blufeb95
It ain't cheap but if you really want some cleaning power, I'd look into 10w30 Valvoline Premium Blue restore, would probably cost about $150 or so for the two gallons you need.

I would like to buy some of this but can't seem to find it anywhere anymore.

Unfortunately "dirty" looking oil is subjective and at 3-.5k mile OCI I would think that the internals would look fine. At BITOG we essentially ignore oil color as any indicator of anything. Has your son taken a peak at the valvetrain? I'm going to guess that based on what you've told us that the valve train is spotless and not to sweat it.

If it were my vehicle I would try to take a look at the valve train. If there's some build up that annoys me then I would perform 2 oil changes with Redline HP 5w-30 (Guaranteed high ester) or a High Mileage oil and/or throw in a proper dose of LM Proline Engine Flush during an oil change.

My guess is that the engine is clean.

Last edited:
Anything you use, you'd better change the filter often. If any sludge or build up comes loose it's either going to be swimming around in the oil or be deposited in the filter.

As others have asked... Where did you see this internal dirt? If it's just oil color I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sceptical that one OCI of any oil is going to do that much more than the multiple runs of MC 5W-20 Blend every 3,000-5,000 mi it's already had.

However M1 EP, PP, PPU Castrol Edge, Edge EP are all good choices as is the mentioned Amsoil. Don't think I could bring myself to pay for Amsoil Signature for a 3,000 mi OCI though.

If it was mine and I was really worried about it I would maybe run three 5,000 mi OCI of M1 HM them go back to the MC 5W-20 at work or SuperTech Synthetic at Home every 5,000 mi.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

It's on Amazon for $24 a gallon?

There are 2 different 'Valvoline Premium Blue Restore' 10w30's on Amazon....One is called 'One Solution 9200'....the other is called 8600ES.
Which one is the good one that we're talking about here?

Back