Best synthetic 5W40 for a small turbo GDI car?

I need to do the first oil change in my Hyundai EGT n-line. It has the 1.6 turbo engine with GDI. I see that Hyundai recommends synthetic 5W40. Suggestions? Someone told me Motul, but then I saw that may not be good for GDI.

I'd say use just about any affordable synthetic and change it every 3k miles like the manual says for severe service, expensive oils for extended drain intervals are pointless in Hyundai GDI engines because the primary reason why you have to change the oil so often is fuel dilution and soot contamination so it doesn't matter what oil you use the engine's gonna fill it full of soot and fuel and you're gonna have to change.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is a solid oil for cheap ($22-23/5L at walmart). What are the oil specs the manual calls for specifically?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Mobil 1 0W-40 is a solid oil for cheap ($22-23/5L at walmart). What are the oil specs the manual calls for specifically?

Pretty much anything goes in a Hyundai TGDI enigne
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dennisbible
I need to do the first oil change in my Hyundai EGT n-line. It has the 1.6 turbo engine with GDI. I see that Hyundai recommends synthetic 5W40. Suggestions? Someone told me Motul, but then I saw that may not be good for GDI.

What's your annual mileage ?

Originally Posted by spavel6
Rotella T6 has always been my go-to for turbo 4 cylinders..

But that lacks gasoline engine approval might be problematic if the OP has any problems under warranty.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

About 15k

Originally Posted by blufeb95

But that lacks gasoline engine approval might be problematic if the OP has any problems under warranty.

0w-40 is SN oil.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Originally Posted by blufeb95

0w-40 is SN oil.

Yes the Rotella T6 0W-40 is SN rated....but also a unicorn....I have never even seen it in the 'flesh'
T6 5W-40 is not gasoline engine approved.

About 15k

Amsoil Signature maybe in your future !

Annual change for about $70 bucks 🤔

About 15k

Amsoil Signature maybe in your future !

Annual change for about $70 bucks 🤔

Not in a Hyundai GDI engine

Sure it can

XL Boosted for sure will work
12K Miles or once a year oil change

Last edited:
Sure it can

did you consider fuel dilution much or not at all?

Castrol Edge 5w40 (Walmart)
Valvoline SynPower MST 5w40 (Napa)
Liqui Moly 5w40 (Napa)

Sure it can

Amsoil signature is a 25K mile oil
Boosted is a 12k mile oil so 15K is pushing the limit some what maybe
But without a UOA on HIS engine none of us know what works for him as of now

So let him decide for himself and his engine !!

Last edited:
Sure it can

Not even just fuel dilution Hyundai's are known for sooting up the oil real bad, the way most people drive is considered severe service, On their N/A GDI engines 3750 is the recommended severe service interval but the TGDI is lower at 3000 which suggests that the soot and fuel dilution problems may be worst on the 1.6L TGDI than the 2.4L N/A GDI.

Back