Best refried beans?

Anyone here like to eat refried beans? I love the ones I serve in Mexican restaurants!! What is the best tasting refried beans you can buy at the grocery store?

I'll always fry mine (canned) in a skillet with bacon grease. Takes away that "wang" flavor you always get with canned stuff haha. Gebhardt or Rosarita's. I see the ones in packages that you add water too.

I can imagine homemade ones are awesome!!

I found a recipe on some random website years ago (probably around 2003), looking now it is no longer online but I have it saved somewhere. They were absolutely the best ones I've ever had. I use dried beans because they are cheaper.

Found it: https://web.archive.org/web/20101122014854/http://duxcw.com/potpourri/recipes/refried_beans.htm

Last edited:
w/ lard

smile.gif

Good topic, who doesn't like them. I don't why they are fried a second time, or about frying beans even the first time. But they are called refried so it must be.

Old El Paso Traditional for store bought.

Cooked Pinto Beans, Water. Contains 2% Or Less Of: Lard, Salt, Vinegar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Spice, Chili Pepper.

My son, takes a can of pinto beans or chili beans in sauce and dumps into a fry pan, heats'em and mushes 'em with a wooden spoon spices.Viola!
grin2.gif

If you are going to choke the pipes with extra lard … fry a little bacon until very crunchy … toss beans in some of the bacon grease … crush the bacon Into bits to go on top …
(run 10 miles next day)

A few years ago I was in a small one owner Mexican restaurant. Asked him how "re-fried" beans were made. He sorta looked puzzled as to why I didn't know and said "we take cooked pinto's and grind them up"............

I prefer to do the grinding by chewing the whole bean.

If you want your refried beans at home to taste like the restaurant...you need to add a little something.

Take a can of refried beans and add 1/3 cup of sour cream. Stir all into a skillet...done.

My favorite store bought is Old El Paso Refried Beans

Originally Posted by 4WD
If you are going to choke the pipes with extra lard … fry a little bacon until very crunchy … toss beans in some of the bacon grease … crush the bacon Into bits to go on top …
(run 10 miles next day)

I swear bacon makes EVERYTHING better!
thumbsup2.gif

home made pinto beans first, then left over's can be mushed while heating in a frying pan. through the years i have found out that you really don't need extra grease or lard as long as you cook your pot of beans with a ham hock or hog jowl or even bacon.:)

If you just buy refried beans and heat them and eat them.. bland.. yuck.

You have to mix in a packet of taco seasoning while heating it up and then it'll taste similar to restaurant style. Some taco seasonings are better than others so you have to experiment.

And like others said, add in cheese, lard, or sour cream as well.

Back