Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump

Messages
64
Location
Edson, Alberta
Thread starter
Still searching but wanted some opinions on what has worked for you. My issue is a rpm related pump whine when hot. Will throw some Lubegaurd additive at it for now then change fluid then change pump in that order- have had this or that issue with my system for years. 89 chev k1500 Saginaw with hydroboost, trans cooler on this system. I am using a u-joint vs rag joint so that will contribute to some noise. I have thrown many pumps at this issue and am considering a good used GM unit now. Lived in northern Canada where keeping PS systems and hoses happy is a challenge- found Acura fluid worked very well. - on a dyno tuning session the M1 ATF blew out the pump pressure cap, what a mess. - Amsoil swelled cap seal - using Redline (with some Ford friction modifier) now with a above mentioned whine. Looking at a fluid I can buy by the liter or jug some of which are hard to source here. - LiquiMoly - Driven - CHF 202, I have had good luck with Pentosin products in the Honda manual trans. - CHF 11S - Febi/Bilstein (part number?) - Idemitsu (not liter size) - Ford XT-5 - Lubegaurd seems overly expensive even compared to the above. I think your seeing a German trend here;) So....I welcome your thoughts.
 
Messages
5,947
Location
Connecticut
I had a noisy pump in my 2000 Cherokee XJ when I bought it at 84k miles. I did a turkey baster drain and fill a few times with Valvoline MaxLife PS fluid, and it was quiet until I sold the Jeep at 188k miles.
 
Messages
64
Location
Edson, Alberta
Thread starter
-Redline in it now. - When the res misted out the cap it had either oem GM dex4 or Mobile1 Dex?- so I think that covers ATF. I was using the Acura up north after not liking the GM cold climate- still thinking it was the best. Is it just a Honda part number or is the Acura stuff different? And/or is the Idemitsu similar?
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,775
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
Originally Posted by dfarr67
-Redline in it now. - When the res misted out the cap it had either oem GM dex4 or Mobile1 Dex?- so I think that covers ATF. I was using the Acura up north after not liking the GM cold climate- still thinking it was the best. Is it just a Honda part number or is the Acura stuff different? And/or is the Idemitsu similar?
Honda & Acura PS fluids the same. Idemetsu may be their manufacturer.
 
Last edited:
Messages
452
Location
Canada
So whatever was specified in the owners manual doesn't work? I would think that switching between all these types of fluids can't be good for the seals and such. Even when you drain it, you'll never get the old stuff out so you're just making a concoction of fluids in there.
 
Messages
979
Location
NC
Had good luck with this stuff. Synerlec must be a unicorn juice, as I have no other explanation on why it works as well as it does. About to use it on a Honda, that'll be the ultimate test. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
12,140
Location
Indiana
Have you tried what it's designed to use? DexIII and PSF with the GM 9985010 spec. I've used Maxlife ATF (full synthetic) and Valvoline PSF in my GM issue free. While I like the idea of a "one fluid fits all", I feel the PSF is a tad quieter. Both are close in thickness too. I wouldn't waste Pentosin CHF 202/11s on a GM.
 
Messages
64
Location
Edson, Alberta
Thread starter
I got away from the standard ps fluid in northern canada due to low temp, liked the Honda fluid over the gm cold climate. RP seems to get good reviewa although I don't like the purple thing- gimmick. Although I like Lucas trans additive I try to stay away from that company- personal easons. What is the difference between 11S and 202 ?
 
Last edited:
Messages
64
Location
Edson, Alberta
Thread starter
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Have you tried what it's designed to use? DexIII and PSF with the GM 9985010 spec. I've used Maxlife ATF (full synthetic) and Valvoline PSF in my GM issue free. While I like the idea of a "one fluid fits all", I feel the PSF is a tad quieter. Both are close in thickness too. I wouldn't waste Pentosin CHF 202/11s on a GM.
Waste? If it works and is quiet- I'll bite. Had issues with Honda MT fluid, eventually found Pentosin- nice stuff but hard for me to get.
 
Messages
14,572
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by dfarr67
Had issues with Honda MT fluid, eventually found Pentosin- nice stuff but hard for me to get.
Honda MT as in manual transmission fluid?
 
Messages
979
Location
NC
Originally Posted by dfarr67
RP seems to get good reviewa although I don't like the purple thing- gimmick.
Is it performance you are after or the fluid color?
 
Messages
64
Location
Edson, Alberta
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by dfarr67
RP seems to get good reviewa although I don't like the purple thing- gimmick.
Is it performance you are after or the fluid color?
Lets just say its in the running but behind the Honda fluid. Saying that- let us know how happy you are with it.
 
Last edited:
Top