Best plastic adhesive for trim?

I have a plastic trim piece on my '18 Buick TourX that had popped up in one corner. One of those things probably nobody would notice but me, but it was driving me crazy. No amount of trying to stuff some double sided tape underneath would hold it, so I took it completely off, will probably have to take a heat gun to the plastic to reform it a bit so the corner is not naturally trying to pull up.

The original adhesive was some foam backed stuff that is super sticky. What do the pros use for attaching these? Looking something that I can put on once and no longer have to worry about it.

Attachments

• plas1.jpg
    plas1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 22
  • plas2.jpg
    plas2.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 22
The above product is also sold by 3M as VHB in various widths and thicknesses. Check Amazon. Almost all car manufacturers have used VHB for probably over 20 years to attach various trim, emblems, fender flares and trunk spoilers. It holds amazingly well... of course until it doesn't in the OPs example. :)

I used this product.

I bought my car used, and it was missing 2 door handle caps.

I think the issue was that I basically had to pop the cap off the new part, i.e. I needed 1/2 of the replacement part, which was $28-$31 or so. By doing so, I could potentially simply lose the part again if I used a poor adhesive.

Be careful getting it on any surface you want to not have it on. I used a little too much and really almost wet sanded some of it off so as not to scratch the door caps. But here is it 2023 7 years later, and both caps are still there.

One thing I hate about these products is we literally need a dab, it likely cost $6 back then, then the rest of the tube goes bad over time and is unusable...

Back