Best Garage Door Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting cold here and I need to replace my Garage door seals. I have the Clopay double groove doors. I just saw some on Amazon with what looks like a tube on the inside and they look very nice. Any recommendations?

Lowe's should have clopay replacements .
Donald.... you have rat that will eat it's way into your garage? 410 time or rat trap time. Just one?

Well, I have learned the big difference between rubber and vinyl thanks to you Donald. I'm going with rubber this time.

Make sure its the correct type of seal on the bottom so you will need to double check it. I had to order mine as the dry rotted after 14 years.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Donald.... you have rat that will eat it's way into your garage? 410 time or rat trap time. Just one?

I installed garage door seal but during the install process I unknowingly stretched the seal. Over time it shrunk back to its unstretched length and left a gap at each end of garage door. I should have done something but procrastinated. So a single rat made his way in and then I realized I had a rat problem so I installed some rodent proof garage door seal. It got chewed somewhat but I think in this case the rat was trying to go out for a walk, and was already in my garage. I got a camera and finally saw him. He also got into Crosstrek and chewed a bunch of stuff in the WW reservoir and hoses. I got many rat traps. He chewed the felt on battery felt washer next to ultrasonic Mouse Blocker. Finally caught him in a Havahart live catch trap and relocated him out of state on way to work. It appears to have been a single rat. That was last winter and nothing since. Except mice.

Lesson learned, used a lube on garage door seal install, soap and water is probably enough.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by P10crew

I installed garage door seal but during the install process I unknowingly stretched the seal. Over time it shrunk back to its unstretched length and left a gap at each end of garage door. I should have done something but procrastinated. So a single rat made his way in and then I realized I had a rat problem so I installed some rodent proof garage door seal. It got chewed somewhat but I think in this case the rat was trying to go out for a walk, and was already in my garage. I got a camera and finally saw him. He also got into Crosstrek and chewed a bunch of stuff in the WW reservoir and hoses. I got many rat traps. He chewed the felt on battery felt washer next to ultrasonic Mouse Blocker. Finally caught him in a Havahart live catch trap and relocated him out of state on way to work. It appears to have been a single rat. That was last winter and nothing since. Except mice.

Lesson learned, used a lube on garage door seal install, soap and water is probably enough.

I'll bet you that is why both of mine fit at first but somehow got shorter. Now I got gaps. Thanks a bunch for the insight. I just muscled mine through with no soap or lube.

Well I have never seen a rat in my life except on tv. In my world they would be on level playing field as snakes. Kill the quicker the better. We don't have rats here as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Make sure its the correct type of seal on the bottom so you will need to double check it. I had to order mine as the dry rotted after 14 years.

Yep - some doors use some weird proprietary seals. My parent's Genie door(really a rebranded Overhead Door with a Genie label) uses a bulb-type bottom seal with a non-standard retainer and integral plastic snap hinges. Meaning I have to order a new seal from Amazon or a Overhead Door dealer and if a hinge breaks, it's new door time. I'm looking at a Clopay from Home Depot or CHI from the local garage door installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back