Best diesel fuel for cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So treat the fuel before the weather gets cold in the winter. That is the best bet. Even then you can have issues in the extream cold. Make sure you are not getting any percent of bio diesel either. Brand isn't going to matter much.

Last edited:
buy fuel from a busy station to ensure its fresh and make sure they have seasonal blends in use. Up here I have yet to see any station selling summer fuel in the winter. ALso make sure you get that seasonal blend into the tractor ahead of time.

I keep a bottle of antigel for an emergency but again, I have yet to run into any issues.

The best brand of diesel fuel for cold weather is warm diesel fuel
smile.gif

Use something like the PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement, or Diesel 911 if it's too late. Mix as directed and be sure to run the tractor for at least 5-10 minutes to ensure you get enough into the filter and injector lines. You could probably also do a heater element around the filter and leave it plugged in as well to give it a better shot.

PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement

Thanks all for the replies. This was the first time getting caught with a wax problem, been around diesels for many years and use additives. The only thing different last winter was cheaping out on fuel. Will not do that again.

Yes, Power Service White Bottle right now into the fuel at the recommended dose. Use it at every fuel up until April or May. I have had no problem with my diesel car down to -9 F when using this.

What kind of diesel where you using? #1 or #2. #2 for summer use #1 for cold winter use. I dont think the brand makes all that much difference but the grade does when it comes to cold weather. A bottle of the treatment in cold weather is not a bad idea. A warm place to store it is also a good idea.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Yes, Power Service White Bottle right now into the fuel at the recommended dose. Use it at every fuel up until April or May. I have had no problem with my diesel car down to -9 F when using this.

What was the cheap out you took? Any treated, winter fuel blend should not have gelled on you. Did you get a summer blend?

IMHO PowerService is bottom of barrel for Diesel treatment, lots of better options out there for not much more or even less $, Howes and my favorite OptiLube. Look up some of the threads on testing additives on some of the diesel truck forums-PS scores poorly.

The fuel was from Speedway and Z1. Used Power Service additive as always. The temp the night it happened was above 0 and we had been plowing snow for about an hour.
rather than using the red bottle we changed the fuel filter and have no further problems since. The wax is still on the old filter even tho the temp got to 98 degrees this summer.

Are you using dyed off road diesel? That stuff might have less turnover in the tanks. Around here it's only a dime cheaper even though the tax is 40-odd cents. Hmm.

Kerosene is the traditional winterizer but it could take some lubricity away from the fuel.

I would be looking at a anti-gel additive like Howes or Lucas fuel supplement to combat the issue.

Tempted but too chicken to use off road fuel. Used Shell diesel in a 83 Maxima years ago will go back to it now. Will also try Howes or Lucas additives.

whats wrong with running offroad fuel? here its treated and ultra low sulfur just like regular.

there is only one station in the immediate area that has offroad and before then i was using regular undyed, i switched about 2 years ago. never any issues in my NH, but i regularly treat it with Howes in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back