'best' conventional 10w-40 pcmo for wet clutch bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
I am seeking feedback on what folks feel is the 'best' conventional 10w-40 pcmo for use wet clutch bikes..

In the U.S. at least, there aren't as many choices for a 10W-40 car oil as there are for 30 grade* and 20 grade oils. It's still a common viscosity grade for motorcycle oils, but then you say you don't want to pay the premium for the picture of a motorcycle on the bottle. You rule out the inexpensive HDEO's because you think you need the 10W vs 15W which in reality doesn't matter unless you're starting your bike in subzero temperatures. Then on top of all that, you ask for the 'best' oil that fits all of these criteria, which is like asking what is the best bike, or the best helmet, or the best oil filter....

If you're truly starting your bike at -20F, maybe consider a 0W-40 car oil. Castrol Edge on Amazon is $25 for a 5 qt container. Or maybe try Castrol GTX which is under $4/qt.

* - for a 250cc air-cooled engine, you may be better off going to a 30 grade in the winter months. A 40 in those conditions might actually produce extra drag that you can feel. Plenty of 30 grade car oils to choose from.

Last edited:
thank you all for the good feedback (despite the one ridicule I got); been dealing with the bs of a death in our family so this thread went on the wayside; don't know what I'm gonna do in the long run...for now I will let sunruh rule his precious kingdom with one less peasant to rule over; goodbye indefinitely...

thank you all for the good feedback (despite the one ridicule I got); been dealing with the bs of a death in our family so this thread went on the wayside; don't know what I'm gonna do in the long run...for now I will let sunruh rule his precious kingdom with one less peasant to rule over; goodbye indefinitely...

My condolences.

I know what u mean. You ask a question (and a good one), even if it's one that's already been asked--maybe it's buried deep within the bowels of the forums that may require a PHD in google-kung-fu to get to. Some posts may be recent, some old, and it's good because things/technologies/opinions can change and/or go back and forth. So, I value your question and everyone's responses. For me, I learned moly isn't necessary bad / no / little effect for wet clutches. And people have run energy conserving too. I just try to keep an open mind. Be respectful to others, even if an answer or 2 back from some may not be as reciprocal back toward you. Just remember, it's not everyone, just most!--just kidding--actually few and far between.

For myself, I've decided to go with Rotella T4 15w-40 and also got a jug of Castrol GTX 10w-40. And a Wix filter. We'll see how it goes. Doing my very very first m/c OC on my bike soon! yay!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Where can you get "energy conserving" 10w40 oil?

Since EC is not an additive its a test which only the freer flowing 30
grade can deliver you won't find 40 grade EC... no doubt many 30 grade
MC specific oils could qualify EC if they filled out the paper work...
If you're a cager EC may deliver overall saving of fuel... for us riders EC
may deliver a couple more Horse Power or about as much as an
full aftermarket exhaust system promises...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
1st off, condolences for your loss. 2ndly, don't you think it's kind of a knee jerk reaction to just abandon the forum because a member was a bit brash? You won't learn of any additional info by leaving the forum. Certainly your choice ...

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/oil-types-weights-and-viscosity-faq

What does the "w" in a grade of motor oil stand for?

The "w" in motor oil stands for winter. The first number in the oil classification refers to a cold weather viscosity. The lower this number is, the less viscous your oil will be at low temperatures. For example, a 5W- motor oil will flow better at lower temperatures than a 15W- motor oil. The higher number, following the "w" refers to hot weather viscosity, or how fluid your oil is at hot temperatures. The higher the number, the thicker the oil at a specified temperature.

Originally Posted by troop
Gee .. Back in the day, I always went by this label. Never had any issues with clutch slippage with non energy conserving oil.
[Linked Image]

Look at the weights of the oils in each diagram... You are spot-on with the visual backing up what has been said, there is nothing energy-conserving over an Xw30 wt.

Look on the back of the bottle for the JASO - MA or JASO - MA/MA2 rating. The MA2 is for catalytic converters so it's not that important. Of those that ARE JASO - MA rated I've gotta say that Rotella wins. Period. Cost effective stuff? Get the white jug. Want synthetic for just a little more? Get the blue jug. Folks are sometimes scared of the "diesel" intent of the oil but fear not. It's not just good, it's ideal for motorcycles.

Then again BusyLittleShop has had really REALLY good luck in a WhiKKKKedddddDDDD Honda using what I was always told would destroy my clutch. He knows more that I do about it. I don't have 50,000 miles spread across every bike I've ever owned.

Last edited:

I hear ya. This place can get quite toxic if you aren't lock step with the guys with several thousand posts. I've been called a moron more than a few times here. Oddly enough there ARE a few folks who have not read this entire forum which consists of about 50% fact and 50% opinion. I particularly like the "armchair engineers" who know infinitely more than the petroleum engineers who design this crap to begin with, and the ridiculous use of acronyms on this site. They're the equivalent of the fat drunk guy at Buffalo Wild Wings yelling at the TV during a football game.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Clayslayer

I hear ya. This place can get quite toxic if you aren't lock step with the guys with several thousand posts. I've been called a moron more than a few times here. Oddly enough there ARE a few folks who have not read this entire forum which consists of about 50% fact and 50% opinion. I particularly like the "armchair engineers" who know infinitely more than the petroleum engineers who design this crap to begin with, and the ridiculous use of acronyms on this site. They're the equivalent of the fat drunk guy at Buffalo Wild Wings yelling at the TV during a football game.

I've been working on cars for 46 years! I've owned and operated 3 shops! I know everything there is to know because along with the internet, I invented motor oil.

heheheh...i love reading those post/flame wars. About every 4th or 5th thread, LOL.

Last edited:
Part of the forum rules is respectful dialogue.

I am sorry that some members don't remember that when they post.

don't worry folks...I'm over it! just got another kick to the nuts tonite...one of my sisters has 6 fractured spinal vertebrae ( guessing low bone density as she got older); it's the icing on the cake I got last month...step brother dying too young; compared to this [censored] the sarcastic post is nothing...

on a petroleum based note...recently found some oil that was buried in storage at home (stuff I got cheaper than usual); 4 qts Smitty's Super S 10w-40 synblend pcmo (clearance from a local kmart that imploded) & 4 qts Amsoil 15w-40 full syn diesel oil from a place that caters to fire-ems-police-gun sales-first responder vehicle customization (they had it priced at cost before they raised it to full retail); guess I got my powersports oil changes covered...

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about your sister and hope she has a speedy recovery.

With your step brother's recent loss (again, my sincere condolences) you've certainly had life throw you some curves.

Those kinds of things have a way of putting little things like oil in perspective.

Still, glad you got your oil sorted.

Cheers,
Astro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back