Best Ball Joint and Pitman Arm Grease?

What are you guys using these days? I will be replacing the OEM steering components on my Rubicon with after market and they have grease zerks (!) on them. I am not concerned with cost since a single tube will last quite a while.

Thanks for the input!

I would select one with moly.

???...what base do you want to go with? Lithium, Aluminum complex,Calcium Sulfinate Complex, etc.

- Redline
- Schaeffers 238
- Amsoil MP or Plymetric Off-road
- Mystik JT6 w/moly

I think starting out new you can select almost anything and stick with one.

I am guessing almost any chassis grease would be better than the OEM sealed components , if applied regularly . SOP in the 1960's was to grease the suspension at every oil / filter change .

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Using Schaffer's 274

I like 274, Aluminum Complex 100% waterproof, and almost comparable with every kind of grease as per Schaffers.

What are the differences between Schaeffer's 238 and 274. I read the product info. sheets on their website, I really can't make out any difference.

The 238 is 5% moly and the 274 is 3%. I originally started using it for the pins and bushings in a tractor but found it really lasted a long time in car suspension joints and doesn't run out of the gun or parts.
With today's longer service intervals on modern cars greasable joints are often neglected and wear faster than they should which is the reason most cars and light trucks come with sealed joints.
If you do have serviceable joints you want a grease that can hang in there a long time, the 238 has been great, the NLGI 2 has not been an issue in NE winters. I would assume the 274 will work just as well in automotive applications.

Reactions: JC1
Just going to leave this right here in case anyone is interested. One reason manufacturers started going to sealed components.

[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

Lithium Complex Soap Thickener with Moly. Usually Mystik Brand from Fleet Farm. Used to get Mobilgrease Special w/Moly, but they've kind of pulled out of the Twin Cities MN region.

Only need lithium complex for high temp (wheel bearings), but then I have one size fits all grease. Recently, Deere claims polyurea is their new recommendation, but I'm not changing now as I have Mystik in all my other machinery.

Originally Posted by ChadHubbard
I think the best grease is any GC-LB that is applied at the correct interval.

I've been using a non-moly grease from WD-40 that meets the GC-LB specs. It's OBCS and seems to work well. I might switch over to moly grease for chassis lubrication.

I use Kendall SHP, which is a calcium sulfonate. It's compatible with lithium, has excellent water resistance and I found it doubled the life of tie rod and drag link ends in heavy trucks. Because of the water resistance I pack my boat trailer bearings with it as well.

Synpower! Synthetic base oil with a healthy moly content. IIRC valvoline says 1% but it feels like much more when compared to my 50% paste.

Back