best alternative to a group 79? hopefully more cca

hello my 2003 hummer h2 requires a side post group 79 battery but it is mounted in the hood so it doesnt need the usual vent features of a group 79.
however group 79 is not that readily availabe so i was wondering if you guys recommended any other battery sizes that have similar dimensions to the group 79 but higher or similar cca?
i require about 840cca.

most battery look ups say that i can run a group 78 but i dont want to put a smaller battery in if i dont have to.
the group 78 has a cca of 800 so that seems close enough. so not a bad option but looking for something slightly bigger hopefully!

regardless of the post position, i bet i can just rewire the battery cables and use a top post if i have to no?

th

I ignore the charts because I have plenty of room so I get a top & side post battery - the side posts hook up per oe, the top posts make it really handy to charge if necessary.

Remember more CCA in same physical size = thinner/weaker plates.

While the Interstate catalog probably lists 10 CCAs for a given group size, only the most popular is stocked and the rest are special order.

My 6.5 year old G58 battery needed replacement. A G59 was called for.

The G59 is not 1 inch taller but had more CCA than the G58. Why an industry would create 2 sizes so similar is baffling to me.

Not everyplace had a G59 in stock. One toy store (Pep Boys) had 3 which were 9 months old so I made finding a fresh one a quest.

Here's a link to a battery size chart which may help you: https://www.carid.com/shuriken/info/bci-group-size-chart.html

Do you have clearance for top posts?

yeah i believe i do have clearence for top posts. i just have to make sure it doesnt hit the hood right?

Originally Posted by Donald
Remember more CCA in same physical size = thinner/weaker plates.

While the Interstate catalog probably lists 10 CCAs for a given group size, only the most popular is stocked and the rest are special order.

ahh good to know well my vehicle wants 840cca stock from factory so i should prob look for something like that then i suppose

with some quick searching i think i am leaning towards a group 78 or a group 65
i think the group 78 is a little smaller then the group 79 in my truck

i can get a group 78 with 800 cca which seems close enough to factory or i can get 65 with 900 ish

Correct on the hood clearance.

Retain any red plastic cover on the positive cable.
Make sure your hold-down hardware is in good shape.
If you have the option, remove any tray your battery sets upon and wash everything with baking soda and water solution.
You might be surprised how much fizzing you'll see.
Rinse with water.

Remember to look at the underside of your clamps for corrosion.
Get a can of battery terminal protector and AFTER CLEANING shoot the posts & cable clamps.

Back