Beer for my horses during WWII?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
These horses are all downtown in Amarillo, Texas on Route 66 in 1942, and are tied up to parking meters! It was during World War II and gas and tires were heavily rationed, so we guess the locals saddled up and came to town the old fashion way. Is everyone shopping, eating someplace, or buying "Beer For My Horses?"

The real history of this photo: "Forty businessmen rode their horses to work on January 1, 1942, and tied them to parking meters on Polk Street. Several of the men were given tickets for refusing to insert the prescribed five cents. Rationing of tires had been announced on December 27, 1941, and began on January 5th, 1942. Cretney's Drug Store was on the SW corner of 6th and Polk."
338024023_218144614207945_8062981452237219140_n.jpg

We went through Amarillo 6 days ago. Didn't see any horses but did see Cadillac Ranch in a sea of mud, didn't stop. If you're in Amarillo and need something to do go to Palo Duro Canyon State Park to the south. You'd never guess while driving through pool table flat panhandle Texas on I-40 that 20 miles south is a beautiful red rock canyon. We intended to stay a couple of days in the canyon hiking and biking but they got so much rain the trails were closed to all traffic for the rest of the week so we stayed one night and left for home in the morning. On the climb out of the canyon we were lucky to see 6 North African barbary sheep that have been there since introduced after WWII.

Great historical photo GON.

That would have been a Thursday and New Years Day, lots of folks working. Imagine the uncertainty people were feeling for the new year with Pearl Harbor having occurred just 3 weeks prior and the entire world in upheaval.

Back