Bed Extender

I recently purchased an AMP Research BedXtender HD Max for my truck. Installation is fairly simple: you drill 3 holes into the bed and do some minor assembly of the unit.

There have been situations where I wished for some additional bed length. But more importantly, for day-to-day use, this product doubles as an overpriced “cargo organizer.” It was also fully compatible with my Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover without requiring any extra parts.

4B0E8B48-E082-4F25-9852-23BFFAD224FF.jpeg

23B1CAFF-4128-4BCE-ACB1-8FAF017C33FD.jpeg

845BF875-6628-4AD4-8500-98B7312D321D.jpeg

Do I recommend buying one? Yes…but it does seem overpriced for what it is.

That looks substantial. The one that came with my 2004 F150 was a great asset to have but seems smaller in height than the aftermarket one you have. Love it!

BITD Amp Research made cutting edge engineering but fragile (think Lotus cars?) full suspension mountain bikes. The fold-down side steps seem the same. These have been around a long time, OEM accessory on Frontiers forever. How do you rate the quality?

I recently purchased an AMP Research BedXtender HD Max for my truck. Installation is fairly simple: you drill 3 holes into the bed and do some minor assembly of the unit.

There have been situations where I wished for some additional bed length. But more importantly, for day-to-day use, this product doubles as an overpriced “cargo organizer.” It was also fully compatible with my Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover without requiring any extra parts.

View attachment 93483
View attachment 93484
View attachment 93485

Do I recommend buying one? Yes…but it does seem overpriced for what it is.
My brother has one, its okay but adding some red reflectors is a good idea. Nothing like coming up on a truck in on a dark street at a stop sign with its tailgate down.

My brother has one, its okay but adding some red reflectors is a good idea. Nothing like coming up on a truck in on a dark street at a stop sign with its tailgate down.
The taillights do not get blocked?

No they don't but some drivers see the tail lights as the end of the vehicle and pull close up. Driving with the tailgate down is illegal in some places unless it is red flagged or reflector.
Back in the day we always drove with the gate down. Something to do with lack of registration?

i remember when people would drive with it down for offroading visibility.. I always had mine up for bed rigidity/flex.

Then started hearing about tailgates popping out on dunes etc...

It seems that having some reflective tape or similar on the extender would be a prudent measure. It might depend on local laws but red flags were used for things sticking out beyond the tailgate like lumber for example.

Zero need or requirements for reflectors or anything else on a bed extender.

(Speaking for Minnesota only) Red flags are only required when objects extend 4 feet past the rear of the vehicle. Last I checked, a tailgate isn't 4' long...

(again for Minnesota) it is illegal to drive with the tailgate down unless you have a load that requires it.

Looks like a nice product. Accessories in general are hard to value, but if it adds functionality and is well made, why not.

i remember when people would drive with it down for offroading visibility.. I always had mine up for bed rigidity/flex.

Then started hearing about tailgates popping out on dunes etc...
I remember when tailgate nets were a fad for street driven trucks in the 90s. My parents had one on their '88 Ranger for a little while. 🤣

Just wanted to illustrate the “practicality” of this accessory for everyday use:

EC1DCF2E-4B87-40F3-B325-7BBE8740CF97.jpeg

987828F2-73A3-4220-AE02-5A8426928B8D.jpeg

Stroller can remain separated from the other items. Bedrug also adds some non-slip properties.

Back