Battery warranty Issue at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats how it is.. Where i work.. if you lose your recipet you are out.... even though its the the AutoCraft battery that only AAP sells... I find it ODD that Pep boys sells both champion and bosch batteries.. Most retailers have a contract to sell 1 battery brand and perhaps OPTIMAS... I have never seen it.... but I have not been in a PEP BOYs in years...

That sucked that had to happen to you.. Im very good with my customers.. I try very hard to take care of them as best as I can... Many times people try to pull things on us and it happens all day...

Bring back brakes and i open the box and there are old set of pads in the box....

Try to return a battery that they bought 2 weeks ago and say they bought a cheaper battery..... then I have to explain there are no return on batteries that have been installed..

Try to return electronic sensors that have been used.. When our policy clearly states that all electronic sensors are final sale.. However they get a the warrenty...

Or I HATE THIS ONE... They will buy a HID bulb... say HELLIOLITE HID bulb.. then bring the box back later and say the bulb didnt work and want to exchange it.. I open the box and there is a OSRAM in the box and I have to explain to them thats not the one i sold them.. Then I have to listen to them lie to my face.... I mean thats a old trick... DIRTY Trick also..
Many of them will do this 10 minutes b4 we close b/c chances are they will get away with this stuff b/c they know we are in a hurry to get outta of there.

Or try to return used oil.... They will say it came like that..... that we sold them old oil in the JUG...

Or return half a can of R134A...

I love this one.. They will come in with a Interstate battery and they demand a new one.. I have to walk them over to the shelf and explain that we do not sell Interstate battery's.. Then they say we did when they bought it..

I mean I can go on and on..

However I go outta my way to help people.. For Instance.. I have people come in with a battery and I can see there is warrenty left by looking at the date on the battery... I will look up there profile and if its under warreny and it tests bad i will give them a new one free... People really like that..

OHH I hate this one.. people will peal the date sticker off a battery at walmart.. then put that sticker on a one of our batteries and say they just bought it a few days ago and its already bad.
Then I have to explain how there is a date code melted into the battery at the top above the seal...

Or people will come in with a Walmart battery and expect us to install it.. b/c we have a sign that say FREE battery installation then with small print with purchase of any battery...

Same with wiper blades.. then I have to explain we are only allowed to install our parts.

OHH I hate this.. There are some cars that we do not replace the battery.. and they KNOW THIS.. so they will give us the wrong year of the car.. And the computer will say FREE Installation..
Well we can look up year make and model with the plate number... and I will put the plate number in the computer and its clearly the wrong year buy a good 3 years...

You name it.. We get it.... However Im very sorry that happend to you at pep boys and that would never happen at my store...

I even let people upgrade to AGM in the middle of warranty on a battery and then the warranty starts over again....

Finally we are getting the 96R3 Battery in AGM and FORD mustang people are loving it.... b/c you cant put OPTIMAS in many of them and many do not want a flood acid battery and really want a AGM battery.

Originally Posted by Saabist
Pep Boys closing stores in favor of service only? That makes a lot of sense - concentrating on the thing they do worst.
Thus the name Poop Boys now most appropriate?
lol.gif
Forgive me, I couldn't resist.

PB is now owned by Carl Icahn. Imo and in my observation guy's a proven crook. If there's a living Gordon Gekko today, he's it. I've got nothing against Manny, Moe and Jack though.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by Saabist
Pep Boys closing stores in favor of service only? That makes a lot of sense - concentrating on the thing they do worst.
Thus the name Poop Boys now most appropriate?
lol.gif
Forgive me, I couldn't resist.

PB is now owned by Carl Icahn. Imo and in my observation guy's a proven crook. If there's a living Gordon Gekko today, he's it. I've got nothing against Manny, Moe and Jack though.

Yes...all these hedge fund type acquisitions are a joke and they should be outlawed, they solely exist to suck whatever value is left out of a failing organization.

Originally Posted by David1
Finally we are getting the 96R3 Battery in AGM and FORD mustang people are loving it.... b/c you cant put OPTIMAS in many of them and many do not want a flood acid battery and really want a AGM battery.

That is interesting to know. I went with a Motorcraft when my Mustang needed a battery, I wonder how long until Ford makes an AGM in that group size.

As for your examples, I have had all of them as well. Actually had one this morning where a "customer" came in with a part with no packaging to return. I said I needed the receipt and they tossed me a repair order from another dealer who said we could return it. I politely declined since we don't take returns from other dealers, except maybe one of our sister stores if it was set up by managers. Plus without the box the part is just a paperweight to us as we can't return it to Ford or resell it.

Originally Posted by David1
Thats how it is.. Where i work.. if you lose your recipet you are out.... even though its the the AutoCraft battery that only AAP sells... I find it ODD that Pep boys sells both champion and bosch batteries.. Most retailers have a contract to sell 1 battery brand and perhaps OPTIMAS... I have never seen it.... but I have not been in a PEP BOYs in years...

That sucked that had to happen to you.. Im very good with my customers.. I try very hard to take care of them as best as I can... Many times people try to pull things on us and it happens all day...

Bring back brakes and i open the box and there are old set of pads in the box....

Try to return a battery that they bought 2 weeks ago and say they bought a cheaper battery..... then I have to explain there are no return on batteries that have been installed..

Try to return electronic sensors that have been used.. When our policy clearly states that all electronic sensors are final sale.. However they get a the warrenty...

Or I HATE THIS ONE... They will buy a HID bulb... say HELLIOLITE HID bulb.. then bring the box back later and say the bulb didnt work and want to exchange it.. I open the box and there is a OSRAM in the box and I have to explain to them thats not the one i sold them.. Then I have to listen to them lie to my face.... I mean thats a old trick... DIRTY Trick also..
Many of them will do this 10 minutes b4 we close b/c chances are they will get away with this stuff b/c they know we are in a hurry to get outta of there.

Or try to return used oil.... They will say it came like that..... that we sold them old oil in the JUG...

Or return half a can of R134A...

I love this one.. They will come in with a Interstate battery and they demand a new one.. I have to walk them over to the shelf and explain that we do not sell Interstate battery's.. Then they say we did when they bought it..

I mean I can go on and on..

However I go outta my way to help people.. For Instance.. I have people come in with a battery and I can see there is warrenty left by looking at the date on the battery... I will look up there profile and if its under warreny and it tests bad i will give them a new one free... People really like that..

OHH I hate this one.. people will peal the date sticker off a battery at walmart.. then put that sticker on a one of our batteries and say they just bought it a few days ago and its already bad.
Then I have to explain how there is a date code melted into the battery at the top above the seal...

Or people will come in with a Walmart battery and expect us to install it.. b/c we have a sign that say FREE battery installation then with small print with purchase of any battery...

Same with wiper blades.. then I have to explain we are only allowed to install our parts.

OHH I hate this.. There are some cars that we do not replace the battery.. and they KNOW THIS.. so they will give us the wrong year of the car.. And the computer will say FREE Installation..
Well we can look up year make and model with the plate number... and I will put the plate number in the computer and its clearly the wrong year buy a good 3 years...

You name it.. We get it.... However Im very sorry that happend to you at pep boys and that would never happen at my store...

I even let people upgrade to AGM in the middle of warranty on a battery and then the warranty starts over again....

You feel better now??
lol.gif

I know that you are totally telling the truth .. that is why I try to be good to anyone and everyone I deal with in a retail setting. They deal with enough World Champions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back