Battery warranty Issue at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
A warranty like this isn't so much for a specific brand of battery (or tire or whatever the item in question is) but that the store will "make it right". If you buy part "A" with a 3-year warranty and after 1 year the store no longer carries that brand, your warranty isn't null and void, they will just substitute it with what they consider an equivalent part.

Had a Penney's warrantied battery that couldn't be replaced because they no longer carried that size. Store would not refund money. Called corporate and within an hour the store give me my refund.

By law they do have to give you money (based on the original purchase price) if they can't make it good with a new product, but does Pep Boys even care any more?

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
My local pepboys doesn't even carry Bosch Batteries ,,, Need to find an Interstate battery vendor

Careful, interstate may also be Exide. Find a brand that is either JCI or East Penn. JCI is way bigger so they are easier to find. The Champion at pepboys is JCI.

I wish your son all the best in resolving his issue.
After being stonewalled and ignored by their corporate concerning substandard auto repairs that could have killed me had I not been more attentive, I will not do business with them, period.

If 3 out of 4 stores can't make more money for Pep Boys by selling a more expensive battery while recovering the cost of the Bosch by making a warranty claim, then Pep Boys aren't hiring the best people.

What's wrong though here is that 3 stores forced the customer to spend more. Did he ask the 4th store to process the exchange for the cheaper battery and refund the difference or were they only interested in the upsell?

In any case, make a note to test the new battery before it's warranty expires ............

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
If 3 out of 4 stores can't make more money for Pep Boys by selling a more expensive battery while recovering the cost of the Bosch by making a warranty claim, then Pep Boys aren't hiring the best people.

What's wrong though here is that 3 stores forced the customer to spend more. Did he ask the 4th store to process the exchange for the cheaper battery and refund the difference or were they only interested in the upsell?

In any case, make a note to test the new battery before it's warranty expires ............

Actually when he arrived at the store they had already pulled the Optima and the Champion battery from the back as they told him they were trying to save him some $$ instead of the upgrade. My son pulled the battery from his car and took it inside and that is when they determined the posts on the Champion were the wrong size for that application. The final store ended up actually having some decent people, the manager even helped my son get the battery installed in his car since the shop bays were full.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by InhalingBullets
...and took it inside and that is when they determined the posts on the Champion were the wrong size for that application.

What do you mean by this ? Post dimensions are pretty standardized, I thought and their location is determined by the battery's Group size. Sounds like they offered him a 51 vs a 51R.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...and took it inside and that is when they determined the posts on the Champion were the wrong size for that application.

What do you mean by this ? Post dimensions are pretty standardized, I thought and their location is determined by the battery's Group size. Sounds like they offered him a 51 vs a 51R.

That is likely what happened, he didn't investigate any further since it wouldn't work and he had spent the better part of his day off trying to get a battery warrantied.

Originally Posted by mk378
Between discontinuation of the product and pro-rating for lifetime, warranties on batteries and tires have always been rather useless to the consumer.

While I agree for the most part, (I) have never had an issue returning a battery for warranty service at Autozone or tires for warranty or road hazard at Costco. Unfortunately in this case AZ did not carry a 51r AGM battery in stock.

Could a group 35 be used instead of the 51r ??

Pep Boys was great back in the day when you'd go there to buy chrome accessories for your '49 Hudson. Unfortunately it's been all downhill since they took Manny's cigar away. I might buy something like a battery there in a pinch figuring it's going to be a throwaway with no support, but would never let them work on my car. I've never heard anything good from people who have.

There used to be a "pepboyssucks.com" web site but it's not there anymore. There is this though:

https://pep-boys.p1ssedconsumer.com...-pepboys-is-terrible-20110310226007.html

(Substitute "i" for "1" in the above link. The forum software censored the original.)

Last edited:
The warranty is with Bosch not Pep Boys. Why don't you contact Bosch and see where you can get replacement. Their website may list it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The warranty is with Bosch not Pep Boys. Why don't you contact Bosch and see where you can get replacement. Their website may list it.

This.

Pep Boys is a terrible retail business and not surprised they are closing so many stores.[/quote]

I Did not know they were closing stores? Is there a link to the press release ? Thanks

Pep Boys has a great battery deal going on. I needed two batteries for a truck, ordered them online. 2 hours later I got a ready to be picked up notice. I go to get them two days later... no batteries. Store was actually closed, turning into a service center only. One employee working, he did his best to try and find them in the mess of what was left of the retail store. Needless to say, I still don't have batteries, I cancelled the order.

Originally Posted by Wolfshead

Pep Boys is a terrible retail business and not surprised they are closing so many stores.

I Did not know they were closing stores? Is there a link to the press release ? Thanks[/quote]

I haven't seen a press release, but there is a 40% Off banner on their website saying everything in the store is 40% off retail price at some locations. You have to input a zip code or city and choose a store's location to find out if it is one of the ones going service only (and thus is having the 40% off sale currently).

The store closest to me (Denton, TX) is one of the ones going service only. There are several others in the Metroplex which are not though. I went to the Denton store last week to see what, if any, deals could be had when taking 40% off the shelf price, and I actually found quite a few items worth buying that day.

There are many others which are still a bad deal even when 40% of their price is subtracted (engine oils!), which is probably part of the reason why they are in such a tough spot financially to be fine with.

There's actually a 35% off Black Friday sale and that also applies to their battery. In addition, the Champion battery has a $50 rebate during Black Friday.

Pep Boys closing stores in favor of service only? That makes a lot of sense - concentrating on the thing they do worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back