I currently own four smart chargers:
- BatteryMinder 12248
- CTEK MUS 4.3
- Pro-Logix PL2320
- Schumacher SP2

I bought and returned two chargers this year:
- Schumacher SP3
- DieHard 71321 (made by Schumacher)

After playing around with these six chargers, I would advise anyone to get either a BatteryMinder, a CTEK, or a Pro-Logix, depending on where and how you plan to use the charger. I would avoid Schumacher (they seem to be hit and miss for me).

At this point, I'm considering returning both the ProLogix and the Noco and just getting the new BatteryMinder 128CEC1 instead.

I wouldn't want to give up the 20 amp setting on the pro Logix. I have even considered the noco 26 amp model but it's too expensive for not much more amps. Odyssey has a 50 amp charger but it's quite expensive

Understand. In my case, I just don't have an appliction that requires such high charging current. I should be able to top up even a half charged car battery at 8A overnight.

Had to look up the 'comfort connect' plugs. What A joke of a connector. Ciggy plugs and their Ilk should be banished from passing anything more than 45 watts.

I once decided 12v SAE connectors were far superior, but even with 10awg leads, passing 25 amps at 12 to 14.8v, they would get stinky plastic hot and would only get worse with more connection/disconnection cycles.

I now Use 45 amp anderson powerpoles, but these are not perfect either, and require some crimping skills or specialized tools.

Unless A battery is less than ~80% charged, it is not going to be able to accept much amperage until Absorption voltage is reached, at which point the amperage will taper.

8 amps is plenty for the topping up of a slightly depleted starting battery, as the 8 amps might be more than enough to nearly instantly bring it upto absorption voltage.

A deeply cycled battery is another story as it is important to reach a true 100% before the next discharge cycle begins.
Otherwise capacity walks down quickly cycle after cycle and reaching a true full charge becomes harder and harder, until the confused human decides the battery is junk and wants the retailer to warranty it, even though their own ignorance killed it.

The immoral something for nothing crowd loves battery warranties, and drives up the price for everybody else.

I applaud those who want a device to top up their batteries and achieve excellent battery longevity, rather than believe the alternator is a magical free energy source which tops up batteries instantly.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Had to look up the 'comfort connect' plugs. What A joke of a connector. Ciggy plugs and their Ilk should be banished from passing anything more than 45 watts.

I don't know if we're looking at the same thing. You can get a cig plug attachment with a comfort connect end, but the 'comfort connect' plugs I'm talking about are a black/orange male/female connectors with an o-ring and a locking tab. While I agree the comfort connect plugs are probably not meant for high amperage - saying they should be limited to 45watts is a bit pessimistic. I'd have faith in them at 2.5-3 times that value. They're also sealed (via an o-ring) and polar. Indeed they are not 'superior' in every way, but I certainly think they are better for applications under ~10 amps. SAE connectors would likely be better in the 10-15 amp range.
I do agree with you about charging through cigarette lighter plugs - should be low current only. Up to 5A would probably be OK.

I now Use 45 amp anderson powerpoles, but these are not perfect either, and require some crimping skills or specialized tools.

Completely unnecessary for anything under 15A, in my opinion.

I applaud those who want a device to top up their batteries and achieve excellent battery longevity, rather than believe the alternator is a magical free energy source which tops up batteries instantly.

Agreed!!!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
At this point, I'm considering returning both the ProLogix and the Noco and just getting the new BatteryMinder 128CEC1 instead.

I don't have experience with the 128CEC1, but it is the model that supersedes the 12248. If battery maintenance is your goal (and you don't mind mounting the unit to the wall), I believe you will like the BatteryMinder over the Noco and the Pro-Logix.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I don't have experience with the 128CEC1, but it is the model that supersedes the 12248. If battery maintenance is your goal (and you don't mind mounting the unit to the wall), I believe you will like the BatteryMinder over the Noco and the Pro-Logix.

That's what I'm thinking. I've had the BatteryMinder 2012 for some time now, and like it a lot, but it can only deliver 2A. The 128CEC1 would solve that problem.

Then again, i could probably keep the prologix 2320 and use it for bulk charging of heavily depleted batteries and then just top off with my existing battery minder 2012.

I ordered a PL2310 last night. I don't currently have a reliable charger that puts out more than 1.5 amps.

It looks like a lot of charger for $50

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I ordered a PL2310 last night. I don't currently have a reliable charger that puts out more than 1.5 amps.

It looks like a lot of charger for $50

Yes it's very versatile, the 10 amp setting is enough for any dead starting battery.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I have had a Schumacher (however you spell it) roll around charger for about 18-19 years now and never had a hiccup.

I'm not sure where it went downhill but Schumacher isn't what it used to be

A reason for what? Sorry, I'm not following.

for returning the 2 chargers.

the 2310 is a major bump in value @51$ if you dont need 20amp.

when I bought the 2320 it was only 10$~ dollars more.

Or did the 3rd charger you are considering have some other functionality that you would like?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Or did the 3rd charger you are considering have some other functionality that you would like?

Well, the BatteryMinder one has full time desulfation and supposedly better temperature compensation. Whether it makes a noticeable difference, I'm not sure.

But the Pro-Logix 2320 is actually quite nice. I'll hold out for a few more weeks before I decide whether to return it or not.

Originally Posted By: Donald
BatteryMinder has a couple of new ones out, but they get a little pricey.

Yep. It's the 128CEC1 that I would get. If i returned both the Noco g7200 and the prologix 2320, it would be just enouh to buy it.
smile.gif

Interestingly, the 128CEC1 seems to treat both wet/flooded batteries as well as AGM batteries the same way from a charging voltage perspective. They both get nominal 14.4V. Most other chargers I've seen bump up the charging voltage for AGM to 14.7-14.8V.

128cec1voltage1.png

Also, after I got done charging my battery with the G7200, I then connected the 2320 and it showed that the battery was only 95% charged. Either I did not keep the G7200 hooked up long enough (it did indicated 100% though) or it just does not charge as fully as the 2320 does. Either that, or the 2320 tends to overcharge.

I received my 2310 last night. I went to the shop and attached it to one of the new 6v batteries I bought for my RV. It read 95% charged.

Attached it to the second 6v and it read 95%. Lastly,I attached it to a year old Deka group 27 marine battery that's kept on a 1.5amp Schumaker maintainer. The Deka also read 95% charged.

I'm wondering if 95% is some kind of default reading before the 2310 starts its charge sequence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back