Base 3.3L Engine in the 2018 Ford 150 Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local dealer has an Ad Leader demo w/ 26K miles: 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 crew cab w/ a 3.3 V6. Is that enough motor for that truck? Not ecoboost, believe it's the base engine. Priced low at $26,990.

All depends of what you are doing with it - people hauling, or a bed full of plywood every now and then - sure - hitched-up to an 8-9K boat or travel trailer?

No way.

UD

265 ft lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm. Probably a very economical people hauler ( for a truck. ). The venerable Ford 302 never did achieve 300 ft lbs, and between 1972 and 1996 peaked out @275 ft lbs at 2400 rpm. If you are willing to rev it, the truck can make some decent torque.

Last edited:
Think those are dual point injected to help with CBU issues on normal DI engines ...

Find out if it has a locking rear end (if you need that) ... many of those do not ...

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
It should be good if you don't do a lot towing. The 5.0 liter or 3.5 eco-boost would be my first pick because the resale value is better.

True but you will pay far more upfront and more maintenance.
Resale value lately has become a joke of sorts. Ford resale has been poor of late.
I've seen these new 4wd with crew cab and locker for $23K- Two wheel is $20K on giveaway deals,.
Problem is most are white

Probably will be just fine if you don't plan to tow. Real good chance that engine has more horsepower and torque than the 5.4 from 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I have driven the f150 with the 5.0, 3.5, and 3.3 and I can tell you you definitely have to get it high in the rpm's in order to get it to move like the 3.5 or 5.0. it's not a bad engine it just isn't as fun as the other two engines and you definitely have to press the throttle allot more in similar situations.

If it's anything like the 3.7 Ti-VCT motor it's going to scream going uphill, upwind, passing, etc. towing or with any load whatsoever. I'm not sure how Ford is rating the F-150s payload or towing abilities higher than the old trucks of the past-other than the EB, V10, or 6.7 diesel they about blow themselves up trying to do any heavy work.

My new wife likely the main driver of the truck, to from a short work commute and the usual stuff. She's 5'4" about 135, maybe these trucks have adjustability on the steering column reach and pedal reach more so than years ago, like maybe telescoping steering column and telescoping pedals? No towing forecasted at all, and only the usual hauling of landscape mulch, etc for general household upkeep,pieces of furniture, the random appliance, or etc. She's not even sure she would want to drive a truck every day, but agreed to go look at it and drive to see how she feels about it. She's coming out of a 2008 RAV 4 with the base 4 cyl engine, w/ 150,000 miles on that car. She was considering a compact SUV of similar class, Subaru Forester, Nissan Rogue, Mazda cx5 (not sure same class), etc. Saw this truck demo listed as one of the ad head liners, looked like a fair deal but then I'm not up on what a good truck deal is right now. It's a 2018 demo model carrying 26,000 miles. It's silver which is a tolerable color. XLT pkg but no add'l options above that listed in the ad.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If it's anything like the 3.7 Ti-VCT motor it's going to scream going uphill, upwind, passing, etc. towing or with any load whatsoever. I'm not sure how Ford is rating the F-150s payload or towing abilities higher than the old trucks of the past-other than the EB, V10, or 6.7 diesel they about blow themselves up trying to do any heavy work.

Yep, you need to let them rev. Peak torque at 4000 rpm is a lot different than peak torque at 2400 rpm. That's just the way it is.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
My new wife likely the main driver of the truck, to from a short work commute and the usual stuff. She's 5'4" about 135, maybe these trucks have adjustability on the steering column reach and pedal reach more so than years ago, like maybe telescoping steering column and telescoping pedals? No towing forecasted at all, and only the usual hauling of landscape mulch, etc for general household upkeep,pieces of furniture, the random appliance, or etc. She's not even sure she would want to drive a truck every day, but agreed to go look at it and drive to see how she feels about it. She's coming out of a 2008 RAV 4 with the base 4 cyl engine, w/ 150,000 miles on that car. She was considering a compact SUV of similar class, Subaru Forester, Nissan Rogue, Mazda cx5 (not sure same class), etc. Saw this truck demo listed as one of the ad head liners, looked like a fair deal but then I'm not up on what a good truck deal is right now. It's a 2018 demo model carrying 26,000 miles. It's silver which is a tolerable color. XLT pkg but no add'l options above that listed in the ad.

Don't get me wrong they seem like a fine engine and you don't have any turbos to go bad or whatnot. Also don't quote me but I think the engine has a mix of direct injection and Port injection to solve the carbon buildup that direct injection engines have. Also the wheel should manually telescope and move up and down and I know some Ford's have the electrically adjustable pedals.

Last edited:
Am I the first to ask how a demo truck got 26k miles? Is Ford going to give their whole additional 36k or whatever warranty to the first titled buyer?

Take the truck for a long test drive and let the Mrs see if she likes to drive the truck. 26,000 miles is a used truck.

Last edited:
It was obviously the dealer's utility truck or delivery vehicle or something. That's a lot of mileage for a 2018 though, strange.

If it was titled to anyone before you then it is used, not a demo.

My work truck is a 2017 F150 XL 4WD Crew Cab with the 3.5 normally aspirated V6 (reduced to 3.3 for 2018). It is adequate for running around from job site to job site and hauling tools. I put the transmission in Sport mode the second I get in it to get the most out of the engine. I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger than a small utility or tent trailer with it but otherwise it is fine. My personal truck for comparison is a late 2015 F150 XLT Super Crew 4wd with the 2.7 Eco-Boost and there is a very noticeable difference in power between the two but otherwise they operate similarly (both having the 6 speed auto transmission).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back