*BANG* (Garage Door Spring)

If one is comfortable replacing struts in their car using spring compressors, you are probably qualified / competent enough to replace torsion springs.

It's not without danger, and I wouldn't do it alone the first time doing it. But I've done it before and if one does their research in advance to get the right replacement springs, and takes their time using the right tools, it can be done.

I stepped up to a slightly more robust spring and put a 1/4 to 1/2 turn less into each one to hopefully give a bit more life to the springs. I.E. the next step up in weight spring.

The hardest part is getting the right number of turns on the drum so the cable doesn't go slack when the door goes up.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by dishdude
A pair of real winding bars are like $12, this job can easily be done safely.

Two pieces of rebar will do the same.

31.gif
You want to make sure the bars seat completely. Using rebar is like using concrete blocks instead of proper jack stands.

I just changed the rollers on my 25 year old door, they were binding and noisy. In the process, found the lift cables frayed so replaced those as well. Thought about replacing the spring proactively but decided to just wait for it to break. Half the houses in the little subdivision have replacement doors, I'm gonna rock this one as long as I can. Hilariously enough, the brand of door is Anozira, Arizona spelled backwards
lol.gif
I am quite aware of that and rebar fits perfectly on my assembly. We are not talking screw drivers here. I have retensioned my springs before with two pieces of rebar, very easily and safely.. You must have a cheap door with Chinese made components.

I did mine. YouTube helped. It was fun getting scared while winding and counting and holding and swaping. Also, I replaced the rollers at the same time in all 3 of my doors and man, oh, man. I had forgotten how loud the doors were. I got some of those non-metal rollers.

As with all things, if you're not handy or comfortable with whatever you're doing, DON'T DO IT!

Changing out garage door springs can be a very dangerous thing. Take your time, understand what you're doing, and just plain and simple be careful! The #1 best piece of safety equipment that anyone has at their disposal is their brain! If you can't think about or understand the consequences of your actions, you shouldn't be doing whatever you're about to do!

Changing door springs is actually very easy to do, torsion springs on roll-up doors are easier than tension springs on tilt up doors, though there is more work involved to do them. Like others have said, with proper fitting rods, releasing and adding tension is both safe and easy. Not knowing what you're doing and not having the right tools is what gets you injured and killed.

Well, the springs are here along with the rest of the parts. Only have to tolerate getting into an OMFG hot car one more day. Temp on the dash said 106 when I got in it this afternoon to come to work.

Well, the springs are here along with the rest of the parts. Only have to tolerate getting into an OMFG hot car one more day. Temp on the dash said 106 when I got in it this afternoon to come to work.

Well, you could always bake cookies! :LOL:

*referencing the other thread where someone baked cookies on their dashboard in Arizona

The deed is done. Verdict....I expected more fear. Really. This is not a hard job at all. Anyone with a functioning brain can get it done. Start to finish was about 45 min for me and that included replacing the cables (They're all of $10 for the set, just do it) The hardest part? The people that put the original setup in absolutely cranked the #$%$%# out of the set screws and the torque tube was out of round enough that it was a complete pain to get the pulleys to slide off and to slide it through the bearing.

The other thing they did? Put the center support plastic bushing in backwards. Dumb luck that the tube never rubbed on the center support.

34 quarter turns and the door is more balanced than it was before. Goes up easily and will stay where you put it.

Glad you got 'er licked! :cool: Most things are never as bad as you imagine, it's just a matter of gathering enough info to do it properly and then mustering the nerve to do it.

Back