Back to work on Monday!!

Haven't worked since March 24th. Took six weeks for unemployment benefits. Glad to be back, I was really down in the dumps not working for this long. Looking forward to slinging some cast iron chips.

"...slinging some cast iron chips."

Are you a machinist or pipe threader?

Oh, you work in a diner! We serve aluminum BLT's with cast iron chips.

Originally Posted by Bfrost99
Haven't worked since March 24th. Took six weeks for unemployment benefits. Glad to be back, I was really down in the dumps not working for this long. Looking forward to slinging some cast iron chips.

Sitting home for a long spell unexpectedly, is not in the calling cards for everyone, even if a paycheck keeps rolling in.

I know a few retirees - that aren't handyman-types and only get exercise walking outdoors or cleaning the home, struggling with not working the job-scene anymore.

The only thing I dislike is an empty home. My kids are grown and gone. When my wife goes to see family for a week or two, I go batty being alone.
Dogs are a different type of company. For me, they don't take the place of another human living in the home.

" When my wife goes to see family for a week or two, I go batty being alone".

My wife is a very fussy eater and I'm Italian, so you can imagine what dinners around here are like...
If she left for two weeks everything in the barnyard, streams, lakes, ocean and the fields would be in trouble!
I can of a dozen great recipes I'd rip through right off the bat! Being alone? Not a problem.

Glad to hear that you will be back on the job being productive. Congrats! I know one guy who got angry when he was called back to work. I feel sorry for him that his mind works that way.

Congrats! I know the feeling. I just went back to work on Monday. Really got worked over yesterday as we didn't have enough staff and I ended up working 9 hours with a 10 minute break. Slept 8.5 hours, didn't wake up once, didn't even move position...lol. Best way to get back into work shape, though.

Excellent … worked from the Houston office for the first time this year … roads were full of traffic and eating places busy with the control on headcount … I had to walk from a couple that were at capacity …

For me, my job in power generation defined me. Everything else was contingent on me going out the door at 5:40 AM. Often told the younger guys just starting their work years that being on the payroll was something to be cherished. They didn't see it that way. Now the company is beginning the process of closing coal fired units with replacement power from solar and wind power. They and hundreds more will be out in the middle of nowhere along with the coal mine employees, and the area will revert back to BLM range land like it was forty five years ago when construction began on our first unit. Things change.

Even if I won $20M lotto, there is no way I could sit at home doing absolutely nothing.

I think some unemployed people do drugs as a way to cope with the never ending boredom.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Even if I won $20M lotto, there is no way I could sit at home doing absolutely nothing.

I figured out a couple years ago that winning a $20M lotto was where I'd retire--that'd be about $5M in cash after taxes and all (cash payout is usually half, right?). Put into a well diversified portfolio and live on the growth while funneling some of the growth back into for keeping track with inflation--if I could get just 5% growth, put 3 of that 5 into the pot and skim 2%, and that'd make a fine living I think.

Now I wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing, I'd find something to do. Just at whatever pace I like!

Edit: I have to say, working from home for 3 months isn't for me. Working from home for a few days a week would be great, but, despite being an introvert, I miss the office! Unfortunately it still won't be the same when I go in, we're encouraged to do meetings via computer *even when in office*.

Last edited:
Back