Back to Basics V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
This problem involves a Blending Plant. The PI, base oil mix, and VII are blended together in a hot tank and then the finished product goes to the bottling machine.

The velocity (flow rate) of the oil at the bottling station is 2.38 meters/s through a circular Pipe of 26 mm Diameter.

How long (in time - seconds) does it take to fill a Quart bottle?

(1 Quart = 0.946 L) and 1 L = 1X10-3 m^3).

I.e, 1 Liter equals 10 to the minus 3 cubic meters.

Hint 1: First find the Volume flow rate (or sometimes called, The "Volumetric Flow Rate") in Liters/second, then determine how long it takes to fill the bottle.

Hint 2: for the simple equations you will need see:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/fluids/fluid-dynamics/a/what-is-volume-flow-rate or Wikipedia.

This question is open to all, but let's please allow non-engineers, non-Tribologists and non-chemists time to research the question and to respond before answering.

Last edited:
Q = A x V

Liters/sec = sq cm x cm/s

so rearranging:
sec = (sq cm x cm/s) / liters

= 946 cm^3 / ([2.6^2 x .7854] cm ^2 x 238 cm/s)
= .749 sec to fill the quart bottle.

Volumetric flow rate is 1.263 liter/sec

Would any non-engineers, non-Tribologists or non-chemists like to respond with their calculations and numbers?

This question is open to all, but let's please allow non-engineers, non-Tribologists and non-chemists time to research the question and to respond before answering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

This one should exclude mathematicians and physicists, too, Mola.
wink.gif

Mr Harmon gave the correct answer with one approach to the problem.

My step-by-step approach is somewhat different and is found in the pdf.

With hints and some good links, I was hoping for more responses but Mr. Harmon gets the virtual BITOG Mug with the
thumbsup2.gif
Emblem and a virtual case of XWXX Full Synthetic oil.

Either way, I hope this problem was an educational one.

flow Rate.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back