B17 crashed at Bradley Airport in Connecticut

Crashed about 10 this morning B-17 belongs to the coaling Institute in Stowe Massachusetts at this point there are fatalities exact number is not known 13 people on board some obviously were paying for the ride should be on the local news channels for the evening news local channels in Connecticut are channel 3 WTIC wnbc and channel 8. Out of New Haven Connecticut based on their story there's probably 18 b-17s in the United States not all are flying but we lost another good one with a lot of good people also lost
Tom Bailey
TOMB

WMUR says 14 people now, and that state police have confirmed that there were fatalities.
frown.gif

Maybe it is the same B-17 that was flying over my house at very low altitude every 30 minutes or so this weekend.

I'm reading that they lost an engine shortly after takeoff and requested to return to the airport. Since this was a four engine aircraft, I wonder if something more catastrophic happened? Prop failure? We will know in the fullness of time.

RIP to those who perished and prayers to the injured. Several are in critical condition.

Yep, very unfortunate. RIP

A few years ago that B-17 was in Fort Lauderdale, FL and I was considering paying for a once in a life time ride on such a historic aircraft.

Sad stuff. I paid about 15 years ago to ride on one at Pease in my grandfathers memory. He talked so much of the planes as he served as officer on one (weatherman) during World War II.

My cousin flies one of these out of Willow Run airport. They put an extraordinary amount of time and effort into maintaining that aircraft. I guess it proves that no matter how hard you try to maintain something there's always a chance of failure. RIP.
[Linked Image]

Tragic. Collings runs a crisp operation, they are a wonderful group who, aside from the touring warbirds, host a few great events at their headquarters in Mass, including their big one next weekend. Condolences to all affected.

Was the fire even out before Sen Blumenthal had a press conference to announce how he wants all vintage planes grounded?? Opportunistic.....never mind. Hope d/n stray into politics, but shameless, self promoting, uninformed, 'look at me I'm doing something' behavior needs to be called out.

That is indeed shameful on his part. They probably hadn't recovered all the victims yet.

I'm still leaning to something more than just a engine failure. Apparently the aircraft hit the ILS standard on the approach and veered. The flight crew must have had their hands very full.

A very sad day.

I just heard the tower comm. They had climbed to about 800 feet and one of the pilots announced they had a "blow out" on number four engine,
and needed to return to the airport. Not familiar with the term blow out in regards to a prop engine??? Maybe the pilot also flew turbines.
Regardless, the plane should have flown very well with three engines
operating. It was spooky listening to that last transmission from a doomed plane.
Sad day indeed.

No not Nine O Nine!!! the news of this accident is bitingly bitter...
I helped pilot Mac McCauley fix his broken bomb bay universal. He
knew I'd do anything to keep them flying... after all the Collins
Foundation's greatest joy is making others happy...

Note: although LoveJoy is still in business offering parts Mac needed
a quick overnight custom fabrication of the 1944 part to meet
ride commitments...
https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/

Viya Con Dios to my friend Mac and to all the crew...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ATC audio... pilot states take off weight "44,000 lb we don't carry bombs anymore" and they request a return to field because of #4 engine...

History of Nine O Nine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slug_bug
My cousin flies one of these out of Willow Run airport. They put an extraordinary amount of time and effort into maintaining that aircraft. I guess it proves that no matter how hard you try to maintain something there's always a chance of failure. RIP.
[Linked Image]

I'm about 30 minutes from Willow Run and got to see Yankee Lady fly low overhead last week while walking my dog with my wife and loved it. Hope to take a ride someday

Last edited:
"The plane hit the instrument landing system posts and veered to the
right. It crossed a grassy area, then a taxiway, and ran into the
de-icing facility," NTSB member Jennifer Homendy told reporters.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop

It looks like they landed really short on the runway (or maybe at a drastic angle to the runway) in order to veer so drastically to the right after landing to crash into where that de-icing facility was located.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop

It looks like they landed really short on the runway (or maybe at a drastic angle to the runway) in order to veer so drastically to the right after landing to crash into where that de-icing facility was located.

I've read they were 1000 feet short.

Back