B&S 22 H.P. V-Twin : Removed spark plugs ...

Thoughts ? Concern for RIGHT cylinder ? I think they've been in use for 2 or 3 years . Oil is P.P. 5w-30 for about 5 years . Always use unknown brand 90 non E .

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4883.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

Last edited:
How does the engine run? We then will go from there.Vacuum leak, just the way it is. different torque on the sparkplugs, more wear etc.

Those look good. Running OK? The two-barrel carb doesn't necessarily deliver identical mixture to the two cylinders.

I thought that platinum plugs were standard on them though.

Valve adjustment is important on the Briggs V-twin.

Last edited:
Same problem with my 2003 Husqvarna GTH2248XPC 620 hrs. 22 hp Kawasaki V2

Bad air filter. Just because it looks clean don't make the assumption that it is.

Start with the air filter as their not that expensive, then proceed . Valves, plugs ( make sure that the plugs are not clones). Plenty of info on the web.
Choke open all the way etc.

My problem was a dirty filter.

Convert

Last edited:
Air filter is fine . About 2 years old and clean often . Seems to run fine . Will check the right spark plug more often .

" Thinking you'll probably qualify toward the front of the pack on sharp landscaping results. "

What ?
21.gif

Last edited:
If U switch the plugs does the problem stay on the same cylinder? Could just be a plug with a heat range that isn't what it is supposed to be.

I previously had a Briggs V-twin similar to yours. Inspected the plugs at probably less than 20 hours, looked like what you show. One dry, one oily.

I cleaned both plugs and swapped sides when reinstalling. Subsequent checks showed both sides dry, no more oily plugs.

Plugs aren't terribly bad. I would run SAE30 for summer use. Sometimes you will get a little more oil consumption when you go with lighter weight oil in the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks . Just put about $200 into it . Will check them more often since it's over 7 tears old and gets about 2 > 3 acres a week . Did replace the plugs pictured with new CHAMPION from LOWES . Will look at package in barn and post part number .

Originally Posted by locomaster1969
They look good. Check the valve lash. Remove any debris that is in between or blocking the cooling fins.

Thanks, have thought of removing the cover / guard to remove any debris . Tend to be forgetful .

Have you considered Iridium plugs? I put them in my B&S 22HP V-Twin two or three years ago and haven't looked back. Perhaps I will pull them to have a look. Those horizontal V-Twins have some issues with oil draining back to the sump, and level may have something to do with it.

No for Iridium , will consider . I'm curious to see your used plugs appearance . I think the Champion plugs I installed may be platinum . It has a thinner electrode than those it replaced ( pictured ) .

Last edited:
NGK FR4 plugs work great in my 2cylinder Intek 21hp - for 20 years, changed twice just because got a 4 pack for less than $10

These were installed to replace the RC12YC . Look to be iridium .

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

Last edited:
Pulled the NEW plug from the cylinder that had the oily looking plug . There are only 2 - 2/12 hours of use on the new plug . Seems a little fouled with those few hours . Thoughts ? Reinstalled it and will check monthly .

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

Back