Automobile Paint, Inkjet Style

Interesting, although I'm not 'wowed' by it. One of those things I think was only going to take some time before they took the technology in that direction.

In another couple of years there will be units that any shop can buy for a reasonable price. Think of a big 3d printer-looking frame with a paint print head.

Very cool. The ink cartridges probably cost more than the equipment if it’s anything like the printers!

Interesting, although I'm not 'wowed' by it. One of those things I think was only going to take some time before they took the technology in that direction.

In another couple of years there will be units that any shop can buy for a reasonable price. Think of a big 3d printer-looking frame with a paint print head.

Day-ham.

Well, with the new waterborne paints, they can be applied in a inkjet-like way. Inkjets spray but don’t need air to atomize their medium - it can be a thermoelectric element that “boils” the medium or piezoelectric that vibrates ultrasonically to atomize.

I’m thinking for now, this new painting process will be used for graphics and special effects.

Back