Autolite Iridium plugs in a Mazda 2.5 'Skyactive' engine.

pbm

I ordered 4 Autolite Iridium's from RA for my s-i-l's 2015 CX-5 because it has 172K and she wasn't sure if they were ever changed. After ordering them I started reading on Mazda forums that only OE plugs should be used yada...yada...yada. Well, I changed them yesterday and I'm writing this to let 'Skyactive' owners know that it seems to be running great with the Autolites. I'll update if this changes.

PS: I usually use OE plugs but I have had good luck with Autolite Iridium's in every vehicle I've put them in. Also, the plugs I replaced were OE Mazda plugs but my inlaw thinks she may have had a dealer service it once....but she's not sure...the gap on the old plugs was over spec. by a bit (.050 vs. .043 spec'd).

Last edited:
I heard good things about these from Subaru owners who didnt wan to pay$ 17/plug for NGK o.e.

Autolites have worked well in the past in Asian cars I've have used them in like Mitsubishi.

I've had good luck with them, too.
I've used them (Autolite Iridiums) in 2 Ford's with no problems...both had the Mazda MZR derived Duratec engines....so I took a chance that they would work well in the Mazda 'Skyactive' and so far so good. And yes, they are 'Made in Mexico'.

I’ve never had trouble with autolites and view them as a good value brand. That said, I prefer NGK and Denso. I also for some reason have a strong bias towards Bosch plugs, but absolutely have seen Hondas throw a fit with Bosch. I got that warm and fuzzy feeling when I owned Volvos - they do just fine with Bosch multi-electrode magic.

I’ve never had trouble with autolites and view them as a good value brand. That said, I prefer NGK and Denso. I also for some reason have a strong bias towards Bosch plugs, but absolutely have seen Hondas throw a fit with Bosch. I got that warm and fuzzy feeling when I owned Volvos - they do just fine with Bosch multi-electrode magic.
Bosch’s regular plugs are just fine in Mercedes, VW and Stihl engines. Their OE-style Pt/Ir plugs are copies of NGK/Denso design. It’s their closed-top Bosch Platinum/+4/Ir Fusion plugs that’s the problem. An ex-friend had the Bosch OE-style plugs in a L31 Vortec, my choice would be ACDelco or Autolite copper/Pt but it ran just fine.

Beru is German Champion - Yura found in many HyunKia is a Korean clone.

Bosch’s regular plugs are just fine in Mercedes, VW and Stihl engines. Their OE-style Pt/Ir plugs are copies of NGK/Denso design. It’s their closed-top Bosch Platinum/+4/Ir Fusion plugs that’s the problem. An ex-friend had the Bosch OE-style plugs in a L31 Vortec, my choice would be ACDelco or Autolite copper/Pt but it ran just fine.

Beru is German Champion - Yura found in many HyunKia is a Korean clone.

The +4 IR Fusion is a lifesaver for the wasted spark 1MZ. The OE plug on those is a 2-prong platinum which is only good for 60k. Unfortunately, the job is impossible on them! So in that case, you want a 4-prong iridium that should last at least 100k if not more :D

That Bosch Pt Ir Fusion is the ONLY multi-prong iridium I've seen to replace a multi-prong platinum. For most engines, it doesn't matter since spark plugs are usually easy, but on a transverse V6 like the 1MZ, iridium is a MUST!

Back