Auto parts price increases over the last couple years

I realize that prices on everything have gone up like crazy the last couple years, but here is a case in point for an auto part.
Bought a starter (new, not rebuilt) at local AAP store for my 2003 Accord 4 cyl. in March 2017. Price was approx. $133 plus tax. ( $10 core charge refunded when I returned old starter). Ordered online and got the standard 20% discount.

This same starter as of today now lists for approx. $184 plus tax. ($10 refundable core charge). That's roughly a 28% price increase in a little over 3 years. Sticker shock applies to auto parts as well, not just groceries, new cars, and housing.

Maybe they aren't selling as many starters for 03-07 Accords anymore and that is why it is more expensive? Smaller batch sizes at the manufacturing plant equals higher cost.

I've worked at the auto parts store I work at for about 4 years and in this time our 2 year warranty batteries went from like 119 to 139. That's a huge increase if you think about it!

And yes when I process lifetime warranty replacements on stuff and see the original purchase price, usually it's way cheaper than it is now, sometimes it's exactly the same and sometimes they do go down in price. But most of the part numbers the price has gone way up.

It's not like ice cream and can goods-where just just shrink the containers.......

15-25% tariffs. Even if your starter isn't directly taxed, you're paying for taxed raw material and the general fallout of shifting supply chains and production disruption.

Speaking of production disruption: A global pandemic will do that too.

Speaking of production disruption: A global pandemic will do that too.

Yep, our trade situation and shortages will keep prices up.

I was at my Stihl dealer last Friday and their trimmer and chainsaw selection was very low. I paid an extra $10 for over night parts delivery and it still took 4 days. Practicing patience and resilience to get through the next year or more. Counting my blessings.

I have noticed the price of a lot of parts has gone up recently. We are seeing mirrors for SuperDuty trucks in the $1,600 range now.

On the extreme example is the COAZ-9202-B fuel float. A few years ago these were in the $15 range. Now they are $100.65 each.

It's hit-or-miss, more so than before.

I got a starter for my W250 for $27 a couple years back at Pep Boys. I never go in there but all the other stores wanted $90+!

I think the trend is continuing for a spread between B&M vs online pricing. Still getting good prices on a lot of stuff on ebay. If you go to a shop and need your car fixed today you'll get hit hard.

It's hit-or-miss, more so than before.

I got a starter for my W250 for $27 a couple years back at Pep Boys. I never go in there but all the other stores wanted $90+!

I think the trend is continuing for a spread between B&M vs online pricing. Still getting good prices on a lot of stuff on ebay. If you go to a shop and need your car fixed today you'll get hit hard.

B&M stores are ridiculous. $129 for a Jeep XJ window switch that is identical to the same $15 ebay China junk. The prices keep going way up but the quality seems to be getting even worse. I rarely step foot in B&M stores anymore. I get oil online for my BMW and at WalMart for my Jeep. Same with filters, and if a China part is my only option I'd rather pay the $15 for it instead of $129.

Yeah, if it's made of the same chinesium then it doesn't really make sense to pay extra for it. Only if you need right this moment.

I wonder how much of it is driven by the increased price of land. Rent and taxes on a property have to be paid somehow. Granted the run-up in real estate has slowed a bit but maybe that effect is in there too.

Back