Auto Extra vs Wix findings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a few threads on this dating back for quite some time but thought i would share my findings. Ordered a Wix air filter for my 09 Malibu 3.6. Stated it was a private label package and was $7. When i received it the filter was in some generic Auto extra box. Wasnt impressed and didnt think it was anything good so i went to Oreilly and opened the wix box for comparison and the same exact filter was in it. My understanding was that the auto extra filter was cheap china garbage, however the wix for $20 was the same cheap china garbage as well. 🤷ðŸ¼â€â™‚ï¸ Just wanted to share.

In the past it seemed WIX air filters were pretty good quality. Doesn't sound like it with the one you got.

Interesting finding. In oil filters the AE filter is a jobber tier filter, spin on still made in US. Otoh, Wix/Napa Gold mid to upper tier, better features, media and efficiency. Sounds like you ordered the AF from RA, if so not surprised the AE showed up as Wix private label. Meaning Wix makes it for AE to their specs. Without seeing the two AF anedotes side by side difficult to comment. Even if look similar in appearance, media could be different.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Interesting finding. In oil filters the AE filter is a jobber tier filter, spin on still made in US. Otoh, Wix/Napa Gold mid to upper tier, better features, media and efficiency. Sounds like you ordered the AF from RA, if so not surprised the AE showed up as Wix private label. Meaning Wix makes it for AE to their specs. Without seeing the two AF anedotes side by side difficult to comment. Even if look similar in appearance, media could be different.

That could very well be-

would be similar to a napa proselect or carquest red filter in oil filter terms. Both made by wix but their bottom "jobber" "fleet" "quick lube" filters. Mainly for places that can change fluids and filters for cheap or in bulk or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back