Auto Extra 51348 Vs Napa Gold 1348

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the recent thread in the deals section about the AE filters and how they compare to the Napa Gold I decided to cut one of each open and compare.

Auto Extra 51348
Price is $2.11 shipped from Rock Auto
Code on outside of can
070319 D3
04:32
Dome end bypass
44 pleats glued
Black rubber? anti drain back

Napa Gold 1348
Price is $8.67 purchased today at local Napa
Code on outside of can
091719 D3
02:42
Thread end bypass
50 pleats glued
Red Nitrile? anti drain back

Both cans were exactly the same in construction with similar markings bothe made in USA
The drain back flaps were different, both were pliable and of similar construction
Filter cans were very similar in construction except the center tube is different.
Filter media seemed the same to me, the color was slightly different but not by much. The Napa can was not evenly spaced and the AE can was wavy

Pictures in next post

Last edited:
Pictures
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Drain back valve. Auto Extra on left
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Auto Extra
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Napa Gold
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Filter portion Napa on left AE on right
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
.....Napa Gold
Same Wix 51348, silicone adbv. Also not included beta efficiency specs for the AE which can be found for the Wix /NG . And Wix/Napa Gold uses thread end bypass as opposed to AE dome. That said, topic AE application better than a combo valve on some Wix 'made for' filters, including some AE applications.

AE a jobber tier filter vs Wix/Napa Gold, which is at least a mid to upper tier filter.

Been many post use 1348 anecdotes posted including the one I recently posted here. I get the NG for
The topic AE post use anecdote also posted before here. Nothing appears to have changed.

Makes me glad I didn't jump at the recent RA sale, that had 12 of these going for $2.50 or so a filter, shipped. Someone in one of the threads telling folks about it commented that they would not be the actual Wix filter. Looks like they were right.

I don't mind people using jobber filters--for shorter OCIs of course they have their useful niche. But the RA sale had these marked as "Wix" filters, but with something like a private party label or some other language. I wouldn't feel comfortable using these for an 8-10K OCI.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
.....Napa Gold
Same Wix 51348, silicone adbv. Also not included beta efficiency specs for the AE which can be found for the Wix /NG . And Wix/Napa Gold uses thread end bypass as opposed to AE dome. That said, topic AE application better than a combo valve on some Wix 'made for' filters, including some AE applications.

AE a jobber tier filter vs Wix/Napa Gold, which is at least a mid to upper tier filter.

Been many post use 1348 anecdotes posted including the one I recently posted here. I get the NG for
The topic AE post use anecdote also posted before here. Nothing appears to have changed.

Last edited:
It's a wix made filter for sure, no doubt about it. I am almost positive the filter media is the same, there is just less of it in the AE.
Other difference is the bypass and the drain back valve but this C&P actually made me feel better about this filter. It is well made and for a 5k oci I think it will be fine.

Good comparison C&P. Hard to say the media is the same if there's a color difference snd no ISO efficiency specs given.

Wix is also doing metal-to-metal sealing on end caps I see.

I think for context the thread where the idea for comparison originated needs posting. There was a post on the promo board stating the AE was same filter as Wix/Napa Gold for an incredibly low price on RA. Member slacktide_bitog was the first to correctly note that as inaccurate. I don't put much validity into how a media look or feels and the leap implying efficiency may be the same. And afaik no one disputed the filter is made by Wix…..for AE to their specs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ock-auto-tundra-tacoma-many-makes-models

As for metal on metal, been the same design since I've been a member here and certainly well before that. But I think that's fairly common knowledge, or should be for those that have frequented this sub-forum over the years and viewed many Wix/NG dissections.
56.gif
I can also say the coil spring exerts a lot more pressure than the flat leaf spring used by Champ. Enough that the filter element is raised up in can when filter cut open. Though I'm confident both designs work.

All that said, as my comment in the post use AE linked in previous post says, it looked fine.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Good comparison C&P. Hard to say the media is the same if there's a color difference snd no ISO efficiency specs given.

Wix is also doing metal-to-metal sealing on end caps I see.

I agree, no way for me to accurately say the media is the same, looks and feels the same but those are not really helpful in this case.
The only thing for sure is there is less of it. So overall capacity is probably lower. I'm going to use them as short oci filters until they are gone and then probably move on to something different. We'll see how they hold up when I do a C&P from a used filter, but as Sayjac posted they seem fine.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
does your NAPA box say MANN HUMMEL or is it old stock?

Says Mann + Hummel

Nice pictures. The AE is probably like the Napa silver or even lower, and the Gold is a premium. On sale the Gold would be better IMO. Napa putting their company name on the filters is a positive.
This is an oil filter forum, but no info on how media is made. Do they spray resin on the fibers then blow air through to make the pores, or what? Looking at media won't tell the porosity when they are so close in looks.
The bypass location is a distinct choice. Base up filters should be better with base bypass and base down better with dome bypass.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can compare the media at home I am willing to give it a try. I could start with some pictures using my macro lens, but beyond that I have no idea.

Looking at a media's physical appearance even more closely somehow will only yield subjective observation(s) that provides a similar type result. If a true comparison is to be meaningful, testing the AE using ISO 4548-12 efficiency test would be it. That way the purpose of the media can be compared to Wix/NG efficiency rating, and then it will be an objective result. Some time ago that testing was around ~$1500 a filter at Southwest Research Institute. I imagine it's more now. I wouldn't think for a ~$2.00 jobber filter it would be worth it.
21.gif

I suppose if further comparing the media(s) appearance makes one to feel better somehow about the AE purchase, have at it. 'To me', also not worth it. If I was to "speculate" I'd say the AE efficiency likely similar' to the former Wix made Super Tech and/or current O'R Microgard OF line which were the same iirc. If one cares I'm sure those specs can be found with a search of this site.

I stopped using rock auto because their return policy is horrendous. And they don't have a phone number to reach anyone. I'll buy from amazon or brick and mortar

Thanks for doing this. The Auto Extra is definitely worth the $2.11 shipped. Ok the $2 filter is not as good as the $8 filter at four times the price, but Auto Extra is a 5,000 mile filter, not 10,000 like the Gold. Versus NAPA Pro Select though the Auto Extra is clearly the better filter, because it has a separate bypass valve. Anyone who wants to make the case that a combo valve beats separate bypass valve though, have at it.

Compared to Napa Pro Select the Auto Extra looks better and is half the price.

Few reading or posting here ever pay top retail for Napa Gold, and why the NG filter frequently chosen over it's clone Wix labeled. As can be seen on the promo board, NG can often be had for much less, even half retail or less.

As previously noted, while the topic AE application doesn't use a combo valve, not true of all AE applications. Same as other Wix 'made for' NPS and Silver, the link shows some do use them. While Pb has now blurred pics, the combo valve on the AE 51515 is still visible in lower right hand corner of first pic, and confirming comments provided in OP and subsequent.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182655

Plenty on this board use NAPA ProSelect filters though with no complaints, I am not seeing them on sale for $1.61 each though. And by the way the WIX filter is not the clone of NAPA, a NAPA Gold has fewer pleats and less filter media than a WIX. Were you aware of that? Fleet Filters a big online retailer that sells both compared them: no, they are not identical. You pay less because you are getting less.

https://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wixLD-filter.html

They also compared NAPA Gold to ProSelect and again, fewer pleats and less material. Not a huge difference

https://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-napa-proselectLD-filter.html

If you want a WIX filter buy WIX otherwise it is "store brand made by WIX", and that includes NAPA.

Auto Extra is made in USA by WIX is currently sold through wholesalers. AutoExtra is a brand of Auto Plus stores, owned by Carl Icahn who also owns Champion Spark Plugs, MOOG steering parts, ANCO wiper blades and Wagner brake parts. Icahn also bought a 15% share of Pep Boys so we might start seeing Auto Extra filters for sale there. Then it becomes a retail brand.

Some FF information is out of date, not current. The current 5/1334 Wix/NG is just one example where FF information is inaccurate. I'm satisfied NG same as Wix labeled for my applications. And it should be noted that when one does a search on FF for the aforementioned Wix 51334, the NG 1334 comes up as the same filter. Seems FF agrees they are the same.

As topic shows just as apparently some not aware that because the AE uses same/similar numbering system it's not the same as Napa Gold/Wix, thus the false claim on the promo board now proven inaccurate. Also implication that no AE use a combo valve like some and NPS and Silver in some applications, now also proven inaccurate.

The fact that AE made by Wix for AE common knowledge established long ago on this sub forum as 51515 link shows. Same for similarity to NPS and Silver. Rest of extraneous information, irrelevant to topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back