Auger gearbox lube

+1 on using 00 grease where it is applicable. You can find Stens 00 grease pretty easily on Amazon, ebay, and I believe they sell 00 grease at Tractor Supply. Most power equipment dealers would likely have it also.

The only thing I can think of that is fairly close is John Deere Cornhead grease, which is meant for low speed gear boxes on corn pickers and combines. That is harder to find than 00 grease.

Thanks for the replies.. I'll check this weekend at the nearby tractor supply.

Thanks for the replies.. I'll check this weekend at the nearby tractor supply.
I bought a quart last year at Tractor Supply for about $5.25. Every where else they wanted ~$20/qt. I have a slightly leaky auger gear box and it's way easier just to add the 00 grease than take it apart and reseal it. I got a inexpensive oil squirt can and it works just fine. My gear box is a cheap aluminum one on a Troy-Bilt snow blower. It holds very little grease.
Whimsey

I bought a quart last year at Tractor Supply for about $5.25. Every where else they wanted ~$20/qt. I have a slightly leaky auger gear box and it's way easier just to add the 00 grease than take it apart and reseal it. I got a inexpensive oil squirt can and it works just fine. My gear box is a cheap aluminum one on a Troy-Bilt snow blower. It holds very little grease.
Whimsey
I don't have a drain plug.. Was going to try and suction it out.. Not sure if the housing is aluminum or a diecast. I inherited the machine from my pops he never did detailed maintenance just oil changes.. Machine runs strong 20 years later but wanting to give it TLC

take a #2 lith grease and mix 50/50 with some 90 wt gear oil maybe close enough
Pay attention that gear oil is not GL5 (or that is yellow metal safe) ....since auger is usually made out of bronze...and plain bearings in that housing too...

Pay attention that gear oil is not GL5 (or that is yellow metal safe) ....since auger is usually made out of bronze...and plain bearings in that housing too...
I'll stick to the recommended 00 lubricant.. I take it that the auger drive assembly is similar to a steering gearbox

Back