ATF for a MP3010 Transfer case??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is factory fill, but.... Here is what happened,

I have a good friend that has a 13 Grand Cherokee with the Quadratrac I (Full time 4x4 single speed case with a open diff inside)
And suddenly it gets the Very loud popping of the chain jumping gears.
we put in his garage and put up on stands, as i am taking off all the "Stuff" required to be removed to get to the case i decide to drain the case.

I GET TWO DROPS of fluid of the drain plug!! and 2 drops only!! (112K on the ODO)

He bought he vehicle new and said he never saw any leaks. The case is apart now and looks like the fluid was a bit cooked. The bearing are nice and smooth. It seems like is just needs the new chain and sprockets.
He tell he has read they have a reputation for boiling out the ATF. He now tells me he has heard that the factory says we must Pack the bearing with grease that will with stand ATF?!!

I'm not so sure there is a grease that can withstand boiling ATF

Maybe it would better lubed by some 5W-40 SYN Rotella?? OR 10W30 Mobil One. Aren't these better for lube than ATF for higher temps anyway?

From the 2013 Jeep Cherokee owners manual the single speed (Quadra Track I) specs Shell Automatic Transmission Fluid 3353. If it was a 2 speed (Quadra Track II) it would spec ATF+4.

Having said that you might check some four wheeler forums.

I wouldn't think the ATF was boiling. You need 600 F for that. A slow drip for 6 years would empty it. I have a MP3024. No lost fluid whatsoever in 11 years of operation. Maybe some oil change tech let it out by mistake.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I wouldn't think the ATF was boiling. You need 600 F for that. A slow drip for 6 years would empty it. I have a MP3024. No lost fluid whatsoever in 11 years of operation. Maybe some oil change tech let it out by mistake.

I really didn't think it was boiling the oil as well. I was skeptical of his information. I asked his if He ever used a quick lube type of oil change. He said No always just him. But its his vehicle. We were proceeding cautiously as he could only get one of the sprockets from the dealer. Once apart I measured the sprockets and they was only .001 difference between the new and old so shoved some good grease in the bearings like he wanted and put the halves back together. I'm going to start reinstall monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back