ATF change still ok with my mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought an 02 Ranger with the 3.0L Vulcan and it has 66k original miles on it. It has been well taken care for the most part of its 17 years.

The trans fluid dip stick has a slightly brown, but non burnt smelling fluid on it. My question is, at 66k original miles, would I be doing more harm than good changing the fluid at this point? I don't know if the trans has ever been flushed or drained and if it hasn't been then it at least has 17 year old original fluid in it.

The trans shifts smooth as butter right now and I don't want to run the risk of possibly compromising it by washing the sediment out of the clutch packs with new fluid detergents and causing problems.

I understand that to some degree, this is always a gamble. I did a drain and fill on an older Buick with 195k miles on the original trans and it ran just fine for the two years after until I sold it. I have also heard of folks who have done the same thing on vehicles with significantly less miles and within a month had a useless trans. I want to take this truck WELL into the 200k mile range and I know that leaving the current fluid as is may or may not get me even close to that. However, a drain and fill with filter may or may not kill or extend the trans.

What say you fellow bitogers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NavyVet88
The trans shifts smooth as butter right now and I don't want to run the risk of possibly compromising it by washing the sediment out of the clutch packs with new fluid detergents and causing problems.
???

The answer to your question is Maxlife.

I did a poor man's flush on several 100k+ vehicles with no problems. Just make sure the level is correct and use a compatible fluid (Maxlife, as maxdustington suggested).

New fluid regardless of the mileage. This is just from personal experience with family and friends cars I've worked on. I've always had good luck with a return line- disconnect type of fluid replacement. Never had any issues caused by putting in fresh/ clean fluid. I just made sure I put in the approved / specified fluid per manufacturer recommendation.

Some clean Maxlife will serve your transmission much better then 15+ year old OEM fluid that has to be oxidized at this point, and you really aren't all that high on miles anyhow. Nice low miles find, good luck with it!

Originally Posted by GZRider
Some clean Maxlife will serve your transmission much better then 15+ year old OEM fluid that has to be oxidized at this point, and you really aren't all that high on miles anyhow. Nice low miles find, good luck with it!

Thank you friend I am happy as can be about it and trying to get her running properly.

Exactly which maxlife am I needing to get? The mercon LV?

Why is there an "L" before the V anyway?

Mercon V or Mercon V approved fluid. Yes, change the fluid and filter. I wouldn't use the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. Valvoline makes a Mercon V fluid for that application. Walmart carries the Super Tech Mercon V fluid, too.

Last edited:
Over the years, I've had two 'flushes' done by a Mechanic / 1st at 63,000 miles / never a problem.
Could be a DIY project, I just never knew what hose to disconnect.

I had my Nephew weld a Hex-Nut to bottom of my pan and I used a Magnetic Drain Plug.
I drive 7,000 miles a year now and do a yearly Drain & Fill.
Filter has been changed three times so far.
At 154,000 miles, all is well.
I also added 3 magnets along with the factory one.
Fluid I have always used: Mercon V from Wal-Mart.
Note: My Ranger is two-wheel drive / but I now use a 4x4 Pan (more capacity, better drain) and a 4x4 Filter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Definitely change it. I have a 98 ranger 3.0 and I don't think the trans fluid was changed until well past your miles. Has 186,000 on it now and still shifts great

Last edited:
I would change the ATF.

If you are worried about harming your transmission, ease into it. Start with a small amount, you can siphon a few pints from the dipstick/filler tube, replace, and run it for a while. If everything is OK, do a little more next time.

That's what I did with my 2010 Corolla, when I was around 85K miles and realized there was no ATF change on Toyota's maintenance schedule, and it still had the factory fill. Another 100K miles later and transmission is still doing great.

I think your transmission has a replaceable filter, I would plan to do that after a few small drain and fills, definitely before you replace all the fluid.

There is nothing wrong with changing the fluid as long as the transmission is shifting OK for you now
smile.gif

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, I suggest an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future fluid changes much easier
smile.gif

Thanks guys I appreciate the help and I will now add the trans fluid change to my list. I don't plan on the truck seeing anything more than 3k miles a year so it's no real hurry.

Use a factory (Motorcraft) filter and gasket. Watch for the little metal hockey pucks when you pull it.

I wouldn't use maxlife. Don't use a universal fluid either. Use Mercon V. (Not the Low Viscosity) I used Mobil 1.

I am a Maxlife user in several vehicles that call for Merc V, never a problem.
Maxlife ATF is a little thinner than the Mercon V spec, but is more stable. Several UOA of Merc V show it's viscosity drops quickly to lower than what Maxlife starts out as, yet Maxlife hardly thins at all.
Supertech Merc V is about the same price though if you want to stick with Merc V.

As said, do a pan drop and change the filter. If Doorman makes a pan with a drain plug, buy that, otherwise you can install a drain plug yourself (and hope it does not leak) to make later changes much easier and less messy.
Regardless, I would (and do) change it a 2nd time in 500-1000 miles to get more of the old fluid out, and then every 10,000 or so do another change.

I'd do a full fluid exchange. Drain the pan, change the filter, refill. Pull a cooler line and use the engine to pump out fluid until it comes out clean (I'd pump out a quart at a time but others go until bubbles, your call) (I would pump out one quart and dump in one quart, trying to keep track of what was coming out and going in--after filling the pan I think I had an empty bottle for the cooler line to drain into so as to measure what came out).

I'm not a mechanic so feel free to ignore. But I've never heard of anyone avoiding an engine oil change because they ran it too far--they'd change it ASAP. If the trans fluid is changing color and smelling funny then it's not working quite right, and... leaving it alone means using substandard oil. How can that possibly be a good thing?

On my new-to-me Camry I did this at 140,000 miles without thinking twice. What was coming out was kinda dark and ugly looking. IMO, if you already have some dark looking fluid you should plan on doing this a second time after say 10k. I don't know about "cleaning" the transmission as much as the new oil will be mixing with whatever oil was stuck in nooks and crannies--it will darken up as it does that. Which is probably fine to run for a normal interval but if you want to be OCD I'd just change it again and then enjoy pristine looking fluid for the rest of ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back