ATF as general purpose oil?

Does anybody else use a synthetic ATF as a general purpose / all purpose oil? I keep some in a 1oz needle tip bottle and use that for everything (well, not everything but more like anything). Works great for everything from a thread lube to door hinges. Even works great on knife pivots and I wouldn't hesitate to use in on firearms if its all I had. My choice is Mobil 1 as thats the synthetic I had left over when I started using it. Not sure how compatible it is with various plastics and rubbers but haven't had any unintended troubles yet either...

Yeah, it's good stuff. Protects against corrosion, cheap and not to toxic. I like the red color because it's easier to see where you've put it.

I use it mixed with STP oil treatment for gun oil. It's not even that I think the STP adds much to the mix, I just had a bottle and wanted to thicken the ATF up a bit. Never had a single problem.

I have used it in place of motor oil in the garage oil can but dont like to use it in the house because of the smell. I keep a small can of machine or turbine oil for inside.

The problem with ATF is that it stinks. I can never seem to get rid of that smell.

I just buy one of those little cans of 3-in-1 oil for about $2.

I eventually lose the bottle after several years and then just buy a new one.

I've been using a mixture of Type F ATF, thick synthetic oil made for motorcycle chains, and charcoal lighter fluid to lubricate bicycle chains for many years. It's lasting so long because I apply it judiciously, about 0.3 ml to cover the entire chain each time. As littlehusker mentions, the ATF makes it easier to see going on.

I have used ATF for gun oil for several years . A little thin but I use it liberally and try to clean the guns after each trip to the range .

I use engine oil + ATF + STP on my press .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have used ATF for gun oil for several years . A little thin but I use it liberally and try to clean the guns after each trip to the range .

I use engine oil + ATF + STP on my press .

Hi
I read on the internet (so it must be correct huh?) that Kroil is ATF based. Always used to mix it with Shooters Choice as a Barrel cleaner.

Back