At home tire rotation protocol question

Status
Not open for further replies.
On FWD, I use 4 jack stands, jack fronts first and chalk rear wheels. I rotate every 7-10k miles depending on time and weather conditions. I use the patten criscross from rears to fronts, and fronts straight back to rears.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I don't rotate my tires. Waste of time.

Not if you own a Honda product. The tires wear unevenly, if you don't rotate them then you'll be replacing 2 tires sooner than the others. I'm sure there are many FWD cars that exhibit the same properties.

I used to kill my back and arms removing wheel lugs with a lug wrench.

The past ten years I have had a cheap $49 harbor freight electric impact and it has been great for lug nuts.

I use the lug wrench to tighten them however.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Having pinch weld pads is a must imo. Something often taken for granted unfortunately.

Hi demarpaint,
do you have a particular pinch weld pad you like? I found these by Addons but need to check some measurements to see if they will work. I'm a bit baffled why the slot meant for the pinch weld is so wide. I found much cheaper ones made out of rubber/plastic on Amazon I'm checking into too.
https://zl1addons.com/collections/jackpads-magpads/products/premium-universal-jack-magpad

I made a pinch weld adapter out of an old blue caster wheel from HF. Same size and concept as making one from a hockey puck. There are a lot of good ones on the market if you prefer not to be the cheapest guy around.

This is the main reason i bought my quick jacks. down to about 10 minutes to set them up and the whole car is raised at once. No jack or jack stands needed. Now i do oil changes and rotations at 5k miles up on the quick jacks, couldn't be easier.

Agreed. Not a purchase i took lightly. But I'm about 30 and figure I'll be tinkering on cars for quite a while. Basically a long term investment. I have no regrets whatsoever.

Originally Posted by ctechbob

Not if you own a Honda product. The tires wear unevenly, if you don't rotate them then you'll be replacing 2 tires sooner than the others. I'm sure there are many FWD cars that exhibit the same properties.

I've noticed that over several FWD's. One eventually had its rear axle bend (everyone online told me it was normal, they just do that) and it'd have very noticeable feathering after 5k. So it got 3k rotations at the very end. But I've noticed the same trend on cars with in-spec alignments. I think FWD's are just prone to it.

At the moment all my vehicles have a spare set of wheels, so I just grab one and lift 5 times to do the job.

Interesting - on my Escape, I'm on like 50K miles on the same set of unrotated Hankook Dynapro HT tires. Although they have lousy traction in any condition and I would never buy them again, they do wear perfectly evenly. And no, I haven't ever got an alignment, I may or may not frequently go over 100, I drive very aggressively, and I've driven over curbs and medians with this car. I guess Ford does occasionally do things better than Honda :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
That's a well thought out method but there's really nothing wrong with using a t-wrench and mfg's specs. No you wouldn't need to carry the wrench in your car, get them tight then loosen and re-torque when back home. Wondering if you keep a chair in your trunk so you can get your calibration right?
wink.gif

LOL, yeah I was thinking about the same too. But in a way I don't care if I'm 30% over and it really is my muscle memory that may be off instead of my weight. As long as all 5 lugs are about the same I don't care too much about the absolute torque. To be honest I just don't want to spend the space to store (and money to buy) the torque wrench.

I haven't had a need to rotate any way except front to back on the same sides so I just use two cheap hydraulic floor jacks. I am somewhat on board with the idea that if they don't appear to wear unevenly you're better of not rotating. On another forum I was on one guy was adamant about never rotating. He stated that for a short while after every rotation you experience accelerated wear until each tire "breaks in" at its new location. It makes logical sense to me. You still may end up having to replace your tires two at a time that way, but he also stated that being married to the concept of always replacing all four tires at once was a money losing philosophy. I don't know whether or not to agree with that. Compulsive people like me (many of those on this forum, I'm sure) like the idea of a matched set of four tires.

Last edited:

Interesting - on my Escape, I'm on like 50K miles on the same set of unrotated Hankook Dynapro HT tires. Although they have lousy traction in any condition and I would never buy them again, they do wear perfectly evenly. And no, I haven't ever got an alignment, I may or may not frequently go over 100, I drive very aggressively, and I've driven over curbs and medians with this car. I guess Ford does occasionally do things better than Honda :p

Its just the way the cars are set up to drive. Little to no camber on the front wheels, front biased weight dist, and in the case of the V6 cars, a decent amount of power going through 2 tires that have to go, steer and stop, usually means you'll wear the outside edge and center a little more. Between 1-1.5 deg of negative camber on the rear tires that don't work nearly as hard as the front wears the insides a bit. The cars drive great, but that's the trade-off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back