Astro UCG100 under coating gun

JTK

Just wanted to share my experience with this inexpensive air undercoating gun. The Astro UCG100. I picked one up off the amazon machine for about $30 a few weeks ago and it makes a great broadcast sprayer for woolwax or fluid flim. WW and FF bottles thread right onto it. Astro hasn't failed me yet. I have some of their hand tools as well. It's been in the high 80s in my area lately, which is when I like to re-spray my vehicles. Got two done today.

Z4B3tlxl.jpg

Looks like every other one.

The key isn’t the gun. It’s the wands.

I greatly prefer a sprayer that doesn’t have the tank hanging down off of it.

The other spray guns in this price range aren't even close to this one in terms of fit, feel and build quality.

I didn't try the hoses/wands I have to see if they're compatible. I'll post back when I can have a look.

The other spray guns in this price range aren't even close to this one in terms of fit, feel and build quality.

I didn't try the hoses/wands I have to see if they're compatible. I'll post back when I can have a look.
Based upon what objective standard?

Flexible hoses and wands with small ends are key.

Based upon the other two spray guns I own?

Good lord.
You’re seriously determining that this is better than something else by solely spraying it from the actual handle??!?

No comment on wands, spray patterns, efficiency?

For example, I said I don’t like the kind with the camnhanging from it. It gets in the way. I also mentioned wands.

My go to for spraying oil has no can. Single hose. 2.5 gal version of this:

IMG_5587.jpeg

The wands make the spray and get the access. If you’re just spraying the underside with the gun you’re throwing away money since most of it will wash off.

My intent was to compare this $30 gun to other basic, inexpensive spray guns such as the fluid film and woolwax basic gun, or the ~$40 units with the aluminum cup you can pick up online. I am not suggesting anyone run right out and buy it as it will suit all your needs. It won't.

Based on what I saw, the astro gun sprays stronger with better coverage, with less air use. The trigger mechanism is more robust than the above mentioned as well. The unit is also compatible with the FF/WW plastic quart bottles.

I'm not a corrosion prevention expert, but this isnt my first rodeo. I have and use various cavity hoses, nozzles, etc as well. Just spaying the underside as you say, is needed on the pickup trucks and SUVs I treat. It's also nice for subframes and general spot touch ups.

You interjected with a $1200 setup. I would expect that setup to work well, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
My intent was to compare this $30 gun to other basic, inexpensive spray guns such as the fluid film and woolwax basic gun, or the ~$40 units with the aluminum cup you can pick up online. I am not suggesting anyone run right out and buy it as it will suit all your needs. It won't.

Based on what I saw, the astro gun sprays stronger with better coverage, with less air use. The trigger mechanism is more robust than the above mentioned as well. The unit is also compatible with the FF/WW plastic quart bottles.

I'm not a corrosion prevention expert, but this isnt my first rodeo. I have and use various cavity hoses, nozzles, etc as well. Just spaying the underside as you say, is needed on the pickup trucks and SUVs I treat. It's also nice for subframes and general spot touch ups.

You interjected with a $1200 setup. I would expect that setup to work well, but you're comparing apples to oranges.
I have an example of a system that I use for oil (not lanolin) spray because it shows a variety of wands.

I’m actually in the market not another gun to spray lanolin for a saltwater boat trailer project my FIL and I will be working on. It’s impractical for me to bring my used stuff.

Thus actually understanding how the gun and any actual wands/attachments perform is important. More efficient is especially of interest. But quality of spray especially from wands is critical too because we will be working inside a lot of closed large square tubing that makes up the trailer.

Back