Are you willing to jump start a stranger's vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I've done it for others...tow drivers have done it for me in the past with my roadside assistance...if you do it properly there's virtually zero risk of something going wrong. Maybe the question should be, "Do you know how to properly jump start a vehicle"🤔

It seems to me there's a marketing opportunity here (at least for people who like to spend too much money on things)...

One strategy for dealing with switching high-capacitive/high-inductive loads is to make the first contact through a resistive path. This limits the inrush current caused by the voltage mismatch, instead ramping the voltage in a controlled fashion. One the voltage has stabilized, the primary low-resistance contact is made, and the resistive path is optionally broken.

Seems to me one could manufacture jumper cables with such a switching mechanism, which ought to mitigate most of the "zapped electronics" concerns.

Yeah, I've done it but not in a long time. Basically you connect the negative to the frame, not the battery post. Nothing to worry about. I've seen people do it though and they seem to like having sparks which is the dangerous part if there's hydrogen gas from charging.

It's been at least a couple decades since I've had to help someone like that. I don't keep cables in any vehicle; I replace the batteries before they get to the point that they completely die-it's just good maintenance. I personally haven't had a battery die in...30 years or more.
Maybe the question should be, "Do you know how to properly maintain a vehicle so it doesn't break down".

If its a lady, I would offer to help. Some dudes I would help. Soy latte boy ? Nope. Figure it out. This is assuming its a suburban or city type area, with lots of help available. Out in the wilderness, I wouldn't leave someone stranded.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
It's been at least a couple decades since I've had to help someone like that. I don't keep cables in any vehicle; I replace the batteries before they get to the point that they completely die-it's just good maintenance. I personally haven't had a battery die in...30 years or more.
Maybe the question should be, "Do you know how to properly maintain a vehicle so it doesn't break down".

Ive seen less than year old batteries loose a cell and die in the parking lot of the grocery store. Numerous times. You can change your batteries early, but you could still get a defective battery. I think ALL people should carry booster cables in their trunk. Why? They cost $20, they only weigh a few pounds, and you can keep them in your car trunk literally for the rest of your life. Purchase once at $20, use them forever. No brainer...

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If its a lady, I would offer to help. Some dudes I would help. Soy latte boy ? Nope. Figure it out. This is assuming its a suburban or city type area, with lots of help available. Out in the wilderness, I wouldn't leave someone stranded.

Soy latte boy? Seriously? I mean yeah if it's a "soy latte boy" (or anyone else) in a newer Euro luxury turd... Absolutely not. "Soy latte boy" in a 2001 Suburban? Aka someone like me? Sure. PS: soy lattes are gross.

I work at an auto parts store... A lot of people need a jump to leave. We have three portable jump starters... Usually at least one is charged. If it comes to using jumper cables, I pull up a company vehicle, open the hood, connect the jumper cables to the company truck, and let the customer connect them to their car. That way, if they screw up, I'm a safe distance away and have no liability.

I would never pull over to help someone at the side of the road.

When my Forester was new, I saw an old lady at the park that needed a jump. As it was getting dark, I couldn't leave her stranded. I cringed and did it. When I got home I bought a jump pack from Amazon. Have used that several times.

It's amazing how many people here wouldn't help a stranger with a jump. Society has scared us from general helpfulness. I guess I'll be the minority here. I have a jump pack. Would help all day.

I'm paranoid about getting stranded and keep a jump box, mini compressor and basic tools in all my vehicles along with emergency fluids, $200 saves $1000's in rural and natl forest road towing charges . I typically will help someone stuck in a parking lot or on a street in town unless it's a really bad area or their car looks to be troublesome because of modern electronics or too much aftermarket electrical draw ie subs and amps. I am much more skeptical about stopping to help someone on a interstate highway and those by cities, and wouldn't on a well traveled one like 95 or 80, they can wait for roadside assistance and ponder their failure to plan. Rural county highways in Northern California, Nevada, Arizona, eastern Oregon and Washington and parts of New England are another matter because they are "highways" with no services or cell coverage for 100+ miles few fellow travelers and LEO's rarely patrolling them. It's generally poor form to leave the old people and college students that always seem to break down on those roads for the rattlers,cougars and carrion birds. My procedure is to make a slow pass with my four ways on to assess the vehicle and occupants and check both shoulders and their back seats for anyone in hiding or laying flat, if I see either then I pile on the gas doing my best to reenact certain scenes from Two Lane Blacktop and keep going. If it all looks legit make a U turn an 1/8 of a mile up and come back to help. I generally only keep a leather-man and small folder on my person (I support your right to carry a sidearm if it's legal for you and you choose to, I just prefer not to) so I lower the back window which means my fur child, the 70lb amstaff/ridgeback can jump out and "say hello" if things go sideways and it's a bunch of methheads or even worse those rainbow people.

Originally Posted by GZRider
I'm paranoid about getting stranded and keep a jump box, mini compressor and basic tools in all my vehicles along with emergency fluids, $200 saves $1000's in rural and natl forest road towing charges . I typically will help someone stuck in a parking lot or on a street in town unless it's a really bad area or their car looks to be troublesome because of modern electronics or too much aftermarket electrical draw ie subs and amps. I am much more skeptical about stopping to help someone on a interstate highway and those by cities, and wouldn't on a well traveled one like 95 or 80, they can wait for roadside assistance and ponder their failure to plan. Rural county highways in Northern California, Nevada, Arizona, eastern Oregon and Washington and parts of New England are another matter because they are "highways" with no services or cell coverage for 100+ miles few fellow travelers and LEO's rarely patrolling them. It's generally poor form to leave the old people and college students that always seem to break down on those roads for the rattlers,cougars and carrion birds. My procedure is to make a slow pass with my four ways on to assess the vehicle and occupants and check both shoulders and their back seats for anyone in hiding or laying flat, if I see either then I pile on the gas doing my best to reenact certain scenes from Two Lane Blacktop and keep going. If it all looks legit make a U turn an 1/8 of a mile up and come back to help. I generally only keep a leather-man and small folder on my person (I support your right to carry a sidearm if it's legal for you and you choose to, I just prefer not to) so I lower the back window which means my fur child, the 70lb amstaff/ridgeback can jump out and "say hello" if things go sideways and it's a bunch of methheads or even worse those rainbow people.

I live off a forest service road near the Gifford Pinchot... and yeah, cell service can be spotty. Sometimes I help.. just depends on what I got going on. If I have my kids in the car I won't stop under any circumstance. There's been a few times that I've made note of the milepost/location and called 911 and reported the breakdown. That'll get a Trooper or Deputy out there.

I will jump start a vehicle using my Noco GB-40 Lithium battery using Noco's instruction manual. I believe I read in instructions that hooking connections up incorrectly will stop the procedure. Certainly wouldn't jump start a vehicle using cables. NO WAY

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Fawteen

Ive seen less than year old batteries loose a cell and die in the parking lot of the grocery store. Numerous times. You can change your batteries early, but you could still get a defective battery. I think ALL people should carry booster cables in their trunk. Why? They cost $20, they only weigh a few pounds, and you can keep them in your car trunk literally for the rest of your life. Purchase once at $20, use them forever. No brainer...

But why carry something if you hardly ever use it? Like I said before, I can't remember the last time I used my jumper cables. Got a really good set at Sears ages ago too. Might have been 10+ years since I've had to use them.

I have cables in my trunk. I would absolutely help. Only time I have ever seen a problem jumping a car is when some highschool students jumped a Civic backwards. It was a $5 fuse to fix. I think this "you'll fry computers" is nonsense. Cars where designed to be jumped.

Yes if they ask.

if the electronics get wrecked how would you/they know. There vehicle was not starting anyway. Not like I hand over my information except say my first name and chase me down.

Probably jumped with cables about 11 cars over 30 years driving.

Most recent couple of women were asking Lowes employees for help who refused. I said I'd do it once I got done shopping out just stay by car. An attractive older woman(a likely 9 in her younger years with rocking body still) hugged me and slipped me a $10 bill. I refused she insisted and still in the ash tray of car. I'll likely will pass on to someone else in a bind.

Oddly, I did it twice in last week-someone left the dome lights on in their van while shopping last Saturday. Hooked up jumpers from my Caddy, van started right up. I told the driver to not shut the engine off for at least half an hour. 2 days before, the office woman where I work had a bad battery ion her Camry. I jumped it off my Vic, she said her father would meet her at the part store to replace the (at least 5 year old) battery. Yes, I did suggest the $48 Walmart battery.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back