are places that sell oil obligated to take used oil?

i thought there was a law that stated places that sold oil are obligated to take it for recycling. Went to Auto Z and the guy behind the counter told me they won't take oil .

I would imagine it comes down to local laws and business preferences. It's nice to have a neighbor with an oil burning stove that take all my used oil.

I'd consider a facility that does this is nothing more than a courtesy they offer .... or choose not to offer.

As you refer to a "law", it might make sense to indicate at least a general location as to where you are. There are local laws, state, and federal.

They are in Ca
Are they obligated or required by law ? If required by law, I presume they don't allow customers to access the tank 'cause people can dump anything in there, including coolant and then their waste collector can refuse it or even charge them add'l disposal fees. I know Autozone used to direct you to the tank and you were on your own. O'Reillys doesn't let you and the guy explained to me what they've ran into. At this particular store, they have a backup option of simply giving it to local folks who will just burn it as-is.

Laws vary from state to state and local laws.

The problem is you have corporate policy and workers who don't want to do their job and lie about the oil thing.

My experience is that SOME stores that take used motor oil per company policy have management and/or employees that lie and say they don't.
The closed Advanced Auto Parts store at 3150 N High st, Columbus, OH which is now a Sherwin Williams paint store always had a sign on the door stating "Oil tank full". If you went in the store the employees would hide and hope you went to the Auto Zone down the street.

A Local to me company owned NAPA store says they take used oil for recycling on their website, but I've been in the store twice and employees say "we don't take used motor oil". That is when I leave it on the counter, tell them it says you do according to the website, I'm leaving it here if you want to call the police over it feel free to do so and I walk out.

My wife has been taking it to a Walmart that has an auto center without issue.

Are they obligated or required by law ? If required by law, I presume they don't allow customers to access the tank 'cause people can dump anything in there, including coolant and then their waste collector can refuse it or even charge them add'l disposal fees. I know Autozone used to direct you to the tank and you were on your own. O'Reillys doesn't let you and the guy explained to me what they've ran into. At this particular store, they have a backup option of simply giving it to local folks who will just burn it as-is.
I believe they are obligated by law. 5 gal per day maximum.

I don't think there's a federal law so it's more of a state law. And OP never mentioned what state he was in.

How do they know what's in used oil? If they take someone's used oil and it is contaminated with halogens, the whole tank can become hazmat.

How do they know what's in used oil? If they take someone's used oil and it is contaminated with halogens, the whole tank can become hazmat.
No idea, my local Walmart made me fill out a log book though. They took my 3 20lb cat litter jugs full of oil and 4 5qt containers that were all full.

I always just go to the local Tractor Supply.
They have the tank in back, unlocked, and ready to go.
If you go in, they used to have a roster for people to fill out.
The last couple of times I went in, they said the tank is in the back, have at it.
I went to the local AZ once and they were total jerks.
You'd have thought the guy was donating a kidney to me or something.

I couldn’t find a law, but the county Minneapolis is in says.

“Any retailer that sells motor oil must post a sign listing a phone number for disposal options or the location of the nearest collection site.”

Back