Are Hi-Point's Really Junk ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
a young cousin who works on a farm has one. his cash income is low, but gets a free house, free car and alot of free food. he could afford just one handgun for protection and fun, so decided on a used hipoint 9mm. i've shot it, it runs reliably but seems overly clunky to this older guy. it's on my energetic young cousin's hip most days and he loves it.

Originally Posted by jstert
a young cousin who works on a farm has one. his cash income is low, but gets a free house, free car and alot of free food. he could afford just one handgun for protection and fun, so decided on a used hipoint 9mm. i've shot it, it runs reliably but seems overly clunky to this older guy. it's on my energetic young cousin's hip most days and he loves it.

I picked up one in 45acp for $50 from my local range.

I always hear people bash Hi Points so to get the real story, I went out and bought some. A .40, a 9mm and two .380s.
I am hear to say they are Good guns. The customer service is so Good. I had the sight screw come loose and lost it on the .380 after several hundred rounds with no malfunctioning.
I called Hi point to get a new screw, they sent me a whole rear sight, plus a upgraded peep sight if I liked it better- free.
I have found the only people that bash Hi point are the people that don't own Hi points. They feel like Hi points are beneath them. I am a guy that owns about every gun, Sig, Smith Wesson, HK, Berretta etc.. I am telling Hi points are a Good gun. Brycos now are junk and Jiminez is a slightly better Bryco clone. There are junk guns out there. Cobra guns are another piece of junk with terrible customer service, cracked the slide on it and they didn't even respond to me with their lifetime warranty. Hi points are good guns and unless you actually own one, you need to keep your opinions to yourself.

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree Panzerman.

We don't own any Hi Points, but do own several Taurus handguns. I know it's not a popular name in guns for some. Also have several S&W, Ruger and Springfield Armory handguns. Given the need, and assuming my aim was good, I have no doubt that I could take care of any threat to me or my family with any of the Taurus just as well as any of the other brands in my gun safe.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I've heard a story about Ruger wanting to "prove" the durability of the cap and ball revolver that they made an number of years back.

Under very careful(blast proof) conditions they stuffed as much Bullseye as would fit under a ball, and then attempted to fire it. They had to go out of their way to get it to even light, as percussion caps don't nececessarily cooperate well with smokeless powder, but finally did and the gun held up for 6 rounds. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's a testament as to how well built the gun is.

I'd be scared to know how much Bullseye would actually fit in a 44 caliber "Army Model" revolver. I've never used Bullseye in 45 Colt(no longer made PB is actually my preferred powder for normal loads, although I've also used Unique, and have even stuffed in 25gr of Win 296 for use strictly in my Blackhawk-that load came from a recent Lyman manual, and I did work up to it), but seem to have a number of around 8gr in my head for 44 special with a 240gr bullet(always verify in a manual, and don't take my word for it-I haven't used that particular powder-cartridge combo in several years). Bullseye is fine and dense enough that I'd imagine a 44 caliber cap and ball would hold well over 20gr, and probably easily peak at over 100,000psi. It's the kind of load that will break most ballistics calculators if you plug it in.

Reloading is a fun and rewarding hobby in and of itself, and it's something I enjoy almost as much as shooting. It should be practiced, though, with a whole lot of diligence and intelligence to exactly what you're doing. I've done my fair share of "to the max" loads, but when I do so I always follow the manuals to the letter and also work up to max loads while watching for signs of things like primer distress. The last I counted, I think I had 5 or 6 loading manuals-I use Lyman the most as a general reference, but have manuals from most of the major bullet makers plus the Lyman cast manual that references specific mold numbers(yes, also cast).

Bill Ruger did much the same back in 1967 when he brought out his #1 Single Shot rifle. Many gun writers at the time were criticizing the investment cast action as "weak". He took a .458 Win. Mag. case, and filled it with Bullseye powder. He then pounded in a Hornady 500 Gr. Soft Point bullet into the lands, and placed the Bullseye charged case behind it. From a distance they remotely fired the rifle. The only damage was the butt stock split at the tang. The action had to be pounded open. But the weapon did not blow up.

Bill Ruger was famous for testing many of his guns like this over the years. Because he was tired of constantly hearing how inherently weak investment cast parts were. So he jumped at the chance to prove them wrong.

Originally Posted by billt460

Bill Ruger did much the same back in 1967 when he brought out his #1 Single Shot rifle. Many gun writers at the time were criticizing the investment cast action as "weak". He took a .458 Win. Mag. case, and filled it with Bullseye powder. He then pounded in a Hornady 500 Gr. Soft Point bullet into the lands, and placed the Bullseye charged case behind it. From a distance they remotely fired the rifle. The only damage was the butt stock split at the tang. The action had to be pounded open. But the weapon did not blow up.

Bill Ruger was famous for testing many of his guns like this over the years. Because he was tired of constantly hearing how inherently weak investment cast parts were. So he jumped at the chance to prove them wrong.

I'm not a big Ruger guy, but none the less have owned a few over the years and currently have two(a Blackhawk in 45 Colt and a Single 7 327 Magnum).

I have my criticism of them, but there are two words/phrases that no reasonable person can ever use to describe the company or their products. Those words are "weak" and "poor customer service." I'm convinced that Ruger has the best customer service, bar none, in the business. Investment casting may not be the most ELEGANT way to build a strong firearm, but you can't argue with the results.

They generally work but are huge heavy clunky guns, All that cast zinc.

Never would own one, Too many good guns out there that are not very expensive.

Originally Posted by BigdaddyG

Yyup. A $250 used Smith & Wesson is SO superior, its off the charts. That's only about $70 more expensive.

A homeless guy can earn $70 in a day panhandling. Just about anyone, even the brokest of broke person, could have a garage sale, and come up with an extra $70 in a day.

I don't even know why the company exist, to be honest.

I went into a police supply gun store and said give me your most worn Glock, and make it cheap. He came back with the most worn, used Glock 17 in his shop, and I believe I paid about $250 for it. Worked perfect. No jams, no problems. I did the same thing a month later, only this time asked if he had any beat up Beretta pistols, and again, I walked out with a Beretta 92FS for about the same price. You can get Smith Sigma pistols all day long for $200. I see Smith SD9VE pistols for $225 all the time. This is a Glock clone pistol, that never jams. Its extremely high quality, for $225.

I own one Hi-Point. A 995TS. I bought it on a whim. I was looking for a new .45 pistol and the carbine caught my eye hanging on the wall at the range. $199 and it looked barely used and came with 3 10 round magazines, a shoulder strap, and a green laser light. It's very accurate and I have not had any malfunctions with it. It's feels as heavy as my Maverick 88 12 gauge and less powerful with not much more capacity so I can't really compliment it on practicality but it really is fun at the range. I have plenty of other more practical weapons for carry, home defense, etc.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
BigdaddyG said:

I've seen Bud's Guns have "police trade in"(usually security agencies these days, but that's a good catch-all) 3rd gen S&Ws along with model 10s/64s at around $200. Sometimes the nicer ones, along with Beretta 92s, go up to $250 or $300. I need to pick up a 3rd gen before they go too nuts in price-I'm not a big semi-auto guy in general, but I'd rather have a 3rd gen S&W or Beretta 92 than a Glock or other striker-fired polymer gun.

In any case, if you go into the store I've seen the quite literally hanging from pegs on the wall, and they'll let you pick what you want.

Along those same lines, several years ago I paid like $175 for a Model 64 that was I think either an armored guard or prison gun. I think it's from the early 90s-it's not pinned(so post 82) but has a hammer mounted firing pin and no lock(those came in the late 90s). The gun LOOKS terrible-it came with Goncalo Alves Magnas(I think I still have them kicking around) that actually were missing the checkering on one side and didn't even come down to the butt on that side apparently from rubbing up against someone's waist/belly and also has bunches of "dimples", scratches, and other issues on the side plate that look like 20+ years of a key ring banging against it. None the less, I doubt it had been shot 100 times before I bought it, and I have zero concerns about it ever shooting or causing any issues.

I have a 4095, 40S&W carbine. It ALWAYS shoots, as long as the magazine has ammo!!! It's also a magic trick. I put 40S&W into the breech; but according to my chronograph, out comes 10mm level velocities🙌. This is with 180grain bullets at 1200 fps. To be honest, it requires hand -loading to get that to happen, such as Longshot or BE-86.
Customer service is on a par with Ruger.
In conclusion, referring only to carbines, you can spend much more and not get much (if any) more.

Perhaps, but I have to admit, I've got a little more respect for their barrels after seeing this.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/...03-12&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Hi-points are super cheap, but they function a lot better than people think they do. Really though, perception seems to be reality, as with most things. Springfield XD's get the nod all the time, while the Hi-point is looked down on, for example. They're both bottom-feeder junk compared to a Glock or M&P 2.0 or HK, but people and their perceptions.

Me personally? I'd love to have a Yeet Cannon from Hi-Point, just for the name, and to go to the range and tear the center out of some targets and frustrate a few Fudds in the doing, lol!

Originally Posted by Ws6
Perhaps, but I have to admit, I've got a little more respect for their barrels after seeing this.

Hi-points are super cheap, but they function a lot better than people think they do. Really though, perception seems to be reality, as with most things. Springfield XD's get the nod all the time, while the Hi-point is looked down on, for example. They're both bottom-feeder junk compared to a Glock or M&P 2.0 or HK, but people and their perceptions.

Me personally? I'd love to have a Yeet Cannon from Hi-Point, just for the name, and to go to the range and tear the center out of some targets and frustrate a few Fudds in the doing, lol!

How do you figure the Springfield XD is "bottom feeder junk" that is equivalent to the Hi-Point?

[How do you figure the Springfield XD is "bottom feeder junk" that is equivalent to the Hi-Point?[/quote]

This.

I've handled firearms, personally and professionally all of my adult life, mostly in a law enforcement context. In my experience, cost doesn't automatically imply quality or reliability. I've been issued SigArms, HK's, Berettas's S&W, Glock's. Most of these were reliable, but some were absolutely abysmal in that regard, to the point of one agency I worked for threatening lawsuit against the manufacturer (settled out of court).

Clearly, the HiPoint will never be used by any law enforcement agency, as that is not their specified market. That said, I own a HiPoint C9 that I bought out of curiosity that has functioned reliably, shoots as accurately as my more expensive pistols (once you get used to it's trigger) and requires very little, if any maintenance. It has a lifetime warranty and reportedly good support from the factory. I trust it will function if needed.

Regarding the Springfield--I own one, an XD-S 3.3" .45ACP that I carry in warmer weather. Several of my LEO friends also carry this same handgun off-duty. We all hold it in high regard for reliability, accuracy and conceal-ability. The machine work looks to be on par with Glock. I trust it will function if needed.

My preferred handgun is a Glock. Not because it's any better than anything else I own, but because I'm comfortable with it's shooting characteristics and I've carried / shot it so much that I've developed confidence in it. If you have a weapon that you have confidence in and shoot reasonably well, that should be what you carry without regard to cost or popularity. JMO.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Ws6

How do you figure the Springfield XD is "bottom feeder junk" that is equivalent to the Hi-Point?

They aren't as bad as HiPoint, but they aren't quality kit I would trust. Its just rebranded Croatian (hs2000) crap with SAs name on it. Dont hold up. There is a reason no large agency issues them, and its sure not cost.

I've seen people bring 'em to concealed carry glasses and/or their first defensive pistol shooting class. Every one I've seen in classes was in the hands of what might be called non-gun people or new shooters, usually older folks.
I think quite a few get bought by people wanting a gun above and beyond a .22 and wanting to spend minimally.
While I certainly have no idea of the lifespan or long-term reliability, the ones I saw ran fine and printed fine, too, over the course of a what most us here would call a light volume of fire over the course of a day or two.
The one area in which I noticed failure to feeds (specifically, failure of the gun to go fully into battery) is commonplace among people new to an autloading pistol: weak-wristing the gun.
No plan or need for one in my safe, but I think I understand why some people buy 'em, and I'm not convinced they're a waste of the money for those folks.
In the case some individuals, I don't they have the knowledge and/or confidence to shop used, and I don't think acquiring that knowledge or confidence is on their priority list. They just want something inexpensive that will work.
And the HiPoint 9s that I've seen in use actually do seem to fill that niche.

The pistols are ugly but the one I bought for fun was reliable. They have the added benefit of being a blunt instrument if you run out of ammo. The carbines are a hoot.

Originally Posted by Astro14
How did that barrel NOT blow up!?!

Or the action? Considering they're blowback operated. 100% of the gas energy was directed rearward. At least until the case cleared the chamber.

And bullet exited the muzzle .

I have a Springfield XD Tactical .45 ACP . I do not own a HP hand gun .

Have shot , maybe 1/2 box through the XD , reloads . No problems . Not much experience to form an opinion . But my guess is it is a high quality hand gun ?

I handled a HP hand gun several years ago . Did not care for it . Too big , bulky and heavy for a 9 x 19 mm .

I have a 4595TS I am in the process of purchasing . I have good expectations for it , based on what I have read . Although , I will probably not shoot it that much , pretty much for a plinker .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back