are all full synthetic high mileage oils similar?

hey guys! in my 6.0l v8 vortec engine im at 250,000km and want to run a hm oil to see if it will stop the leaks i have. right now its summer and we are regularly above 20 celcius everyday and can get into 30celcius +.
i dont run high oci at all, i usually just go by the 6000km sticker or the OLM but i still prefer to run a syn oil for piece of mind.

i cant seem to find valvoline full synthetic maxlife in canada, i could only find the red bottle which i believe is conventional

1. Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
2. Pennzoil 5W30 Platinum Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil
3. Quaker State 5W30 High Mileage Synthetic Engine Oil
4.Royal Purple 5W30 Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil

these seem to be all the ones i can find in canada, correct me if i am wrong please

so which would be the best? or do i basically get whats on sale?
i noticed that the pennzoil and the quaker state is usually on sale but i dont remmeber ever seeing mobil hm or royal purple hm on sale

thanks!

Hi, i have been using both versions of max life since the red bottle first came out here, i believe around the early 2000s.

I have never had any issues with the max life in all my cars and trucks nor was i expecting to, is it better than the rest of the high mileage group of oils ???

And the walmart in my town carries both the syn blend and full syn versions.

Also they usually put it on sale once a year .

I have also used canadian tires motomaster version of high mile oil which is a shell product in my daughters cars for four or five years with no issues usually pick this up for around $20

Last edited:
You're going to have to try out different oils to see what works the best. I tried M1 HM & PP HM before finding that VML helps the most with the seeps/weeps in my Accord.

You should know that HM oils don't work immediately. Depending on how much you drive you will need to give the oil the chance to work.

Originally Posted by mclasser
You're going to have to try out different oils to see what works the best. I tried M1 HM & PP HM before finding that VML helps the most with the seeps/weeps in my Accord.

Which version of VML do you use?

thansk for the reply everyone
in canada we have a brand called motomaster and it makes a cheap hm but its conventional so i dont feel like running it
otherwise we have castrol gtx but i dont think that it has many good reviews

i wanted to add that the quaker state is the full syn version here in canada. i dont know if people in US get it, but we sure do.
QUAKER STATE HIGH MILEAGE FULL SYNTHETIC

its regularly on sale believe so i think i will lean towards that, unless someone can steer me away to a better brand

i heard great things about valvoline maxlife full syn high mileage but cant seem to find the grey full syn bottle here in canada
https://www.quakerstate.com/en_ca/p...r-state-high-mileage-full-synthetic.html

All of those are good. RP a bit more expensive. Good OCI, good oil, and good filter. All you need.

Maxlife in red bottle does fine in my old Chevy 5.3 basically the same as your 6.0. I don't bother with the full syn version because it burns a bit of oil anyway especially when I use the whole speedometer for long periods of time ...‚

Originally Posted by apollo18

its regularly on sale believe so i think i will lean towards that, unless someone can steer me away to a better brand...

I agree with you.

thansk for the reply everyone
in canada we have a brand called motomaster and it makes a cheap hm but its conventional so i dont feel like running it
otherwise we have castrol gtx but i dont think that it has many good reviews

i wanted to add that the quaker state is the full syn version here in canada. i dont know if people in US get it, but we sure do.

its regularly on sale believe so i think i will lean towards that, unless someone can steer me away to a better brand

i heard great things about valvoline maxlife full syn high mileage but cant seem to find the grey full syn bottle here in canada
https://www.quakerstate.com/en_ca/p...r-state-high-mileage-full-synthetic.html
Use the least expensive full synthetic if full has worked for you . Full synthetic has frequently caused gasket and seal leak in older engines NOT specifying full synthetic..as does High Mileage blends. In Minnesota..I have five fills behind me with FVP CONVENTIONAL..my 2005 GM 3.5 LTR V6 loves API SN etc FVP oil at $2.50/qt ..180000 miles and it lifters are quiet at cold start. Once warmed..you cannot even hear it run. I quit chasing Castrol GTX.

Use the least expensive full synthetic if full has worked for you . Full synthetic has frequently caused gasket and seal leak in older engines NOT specifying full synthetic..as does High Mileage blends. In Minnesota..I have five fills behind me with FVP CONVENTIONAL..my 2005 GM 3.5 LTR V6 loves API SN etc FVP oil at $2.50/qt ..180000 miles and it lifters are quiet at cold start. Once warmed..you cannot even hear it run. I quit chasing Castrol GTX.

You seem to be pushing this FVP oil on multiple threads.

^^^^This.^^^^
When my RMS/oil pan was leaking I bet you I tried every HM oil there was. The ONLY solution was to fix it. My cousin did it for me and it only took him about 4-5 hours.
My dad had a 2010 Lincoln TC, 4.6, 110K miles. It started weeping oil. He used the VML and it stopped weeping.

I use Valvoline Maxlife Advance Synthetic which has GM certification. Been using the red bottle for years but in Caravan I chose synthetic since it was on sale. Will continue to do so. I only have 20k at this moment and besides the van is doing great on it.

You seem to be pushing this FVP oil on multiple threads.
YES...my experience with FVP at qt has been stupendous. I have some stories about Castro GTX but they are 40 years old. My stories about Formula Shell 10w-30 are 65 years old. Your owners manual and the least cost ILSAC 6A and API SP+ and price should rule your choice..MHO FVP has a huge mfg presence in Minnesota. I told them to put a silicone ADV in their oil filter..and keep the low prices on their oil, they will rule their market?! MHO. My GM dealer promotes $49.95 oil change ..including zerks lubed, tires rotated and 3 page car inspection including front seals, brakes, tires etc. I bring my own oil and filter (WIX or Purolator 1)..and they charge me $23 after tax. I'm in the process of installing a drain plug in my trans pan.

Back