Are all 9012 bulbs HIR2?

Howdy folks, another headlight bulb question for a different vehicle in the stable. My fam just bought a 2013 Chevy Volt and the headlights have noticeably different patterns. Since the headlights themselves look the same (matching appearance, seem to be original, both have nice clear lenses), I'm thinking the bulbs are not the same. I suppose I could pull the bulbs, see what they are and try to buy a matching mate for one of them, but two new bulbs seems like a better idea.

I gather that the 9012 is kind of a new and much brighter thing, at least compared to H7s, etc. I just finished purchasing a pair of H7s for my older Subaru, I ended up getting the brightest version that was still 55w (Philips X-tremeVision). So my question is, are all 9012 bulbs HIR2? If yes, does that mean they're all bright, even the basic ones? The Volt has auto headlights, so they probably turn on and off more frequently then I would turn them on manually. I noticed that Phillips does not seem to have the good, better, best versions of 9012 bulbs. Factoring in the whole HIR2 thing, I'm not really sure what I should be shopping for. What do you think? Thanks, Doug

I've got the same car, and also didn't care for the lighting up front with the stock bulbs.

There isn't much aftermarket for 9012 bulbs, about all I would suggest you try are the GM upgrade bulbs, part # 23342527.

I noticed a slight improvement with these, but ultimately installed an HID kit.

Yes, all 9012 bulbs are HIR2. They are just different names for each other
smile.gif

Also, 9011 = HIR1

Originally Posted by dvancleve
My fam just bought a 2013 Chevy Volt and the headlights have noticeably different patterns. Since the headlights themselves look the same (matching appearance, seem to be original, both have nice clear lenses), I'm thinking the bulbs are not the same.

How different are the patterns? A pic would help. A bulb that isn't seated correctly can wreck the beam pattern. Another possibility is that if one of the headlamp assemblies was replaced (e.g. after a collision), the replacement assembly could be a crappy aftermarket one.
Definitely pull the bulbs out and check them, and try reseating them.

Originally Posted by jeff78
Originally Posted by dvancleve
My fam just bought a 2013 Chevy Volt and the headlights have noticeably different patterns. Since the headlights themselves look the same (matching appearance, seem to be original, both have nice clear lenses), I'm thinking the bulbs are not the same.

How different are the patterns? A pic would help. A bulb that isn't seated correctly can wreck the beam pattern. Another possibility is that if one of the headlamp assemblies was replaced (e.g. after a collision), the replacement assembly could be a crappy aftermarket one.
Definitely pull the bulbs out and check them, and try reseating them.

+1 to this. I have found that the Volt headlights really are picky about aim and bulb placement.

So I pulled both bulbs and they don't match, one LL and the other regular:
[Linked Image]

I also noticed that the regular/green backed one, which has the weird beam pattern, has something on the capsule (is that what the glass part is called?). I thought it was a hair, but I couldn't wipe it off. I guess it's a scratch or maybe a small crack? Anyway, pretty sure that's the reason it's throwing the weird vertical pattern.

Sounds like the 23342527/Vosla bulbs are the way to go. I was going to order from RockAuto, turns out I need to go to a Chevy dealer anyway because I can't figure out which silver my car is (window sticker says polar silver metallic, but I can't find that anywhere) and I need to buy some other small bits and pieces...

Thanks again, Doug

Halogen Infrared Reflection was the original design and functioned in the original production iterations with the round globe and the IR coating inside. Do to filament redesign/optimization since then, the configuration no longer carry the IR design and it is a high performance bulb. The HIR name is just name only at this point and has no real meaning other than to separate it from the normal 9005 and 9006 type bulbs even more than just the 9011 and 9012 number designations.

Originally Posted by Dave_Mark
Picture of the capsules, please?

[Linked Image]

It's hard to see, but you can see that there's something going on with the glass in the middle above the filament. I couldn't feel it, but it didn't rub off. That one was a long life bulb anyway, so I chucked it. I'm keeping the other one as a spare… Doug

So I finally ordered some of the AC Delco Vosla bulbs From Rock Auto. I intended to just get them at the dealership, I need some random hatch hardware and a tube of touchup paint. Because of the quarantine, that never happened. Anyway, I got the bulbs swapped out today and the left and right still don't quite match. I suspect one of the headlights itself has been replaced, but they look the same to me. One isn't obviously cheap aftermarket, and I'm certainly not replacing either of them. This is the pattern I get now, with the left adjusted to match the right as best I could. Not perfect, but good enough and the bulbs match and are brighter so I'm satisfied...
[Linked Image]

Back