Applying RTV Gasket Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything wrong with spreading it on evenly with your finger? As opposed to trying to lay down a uniform diameter bead like a robot does? I call that "buttering" on the RTV and it's way easier for me.

Whatever works for you. Want to be sure the FIPG material doesn't migrate beyond the gasket surfaces where it could get into the lubricant. Toyota calls for 1/8" bea, which doesn't seem like a lot but it works. My 04 Camry doesn't leak oil or even ooze oil.

No clue, I use gasket s and goop. Gobs of RTV roaming around the engine, etc is a potential problem. Make like the robot is my advice
grin2.gif

I would definitely follow the manufacturer's instructions for that including the elapsed time prior to assembly. Most say a single bead encircling the bolt holes, some go around the inside instead.

It is critical to use a bead of the correct size and to apply it where specified. Joining the two surfaces together will squeeze out an even layer. Applying it with your finger may result in a low spot which will cause a leak.

Depends on application. But for something's I have spread with my fingers. Have done it for years and years without any issues.

I prefer a bead out of the nozzle. For some things, like the half-moon seals on Japanese engines or the valley seals on GM engines, I smear the end of the bead with my finger.

The less skin cells in the RTV, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back