Apply brakes, steering wheel shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Srt20
Try doing a few very aggressive braking events with the vehicle. But dont come to a complete stop. Then keep rolling and get back up to speed and cool the brakes down. Do this a few times. Once you stop, slowly roll a little to get your pads to not sit in the same area on the rotors. Less build up in that one spot, less braking vibrations and shaking. .

This is 100% true....

though I never once thought "pad material was transferring"....

but it DOES help to prevent rotor warp

I can understand that people think rotors warp easy. But, have you ever had a rotor on a lathe and checked for straightness or warping?
I have alot of times. Look at the way a rotor is built. It just cant warp one spot and not crack or break or warp another area.

I'll bet a good polish job with Nufinish would cure the problem.
The cars might be feeling a little neglected.

Originally Posted by geeman789
I think brake shudder is just an eventual part of owning many cars, especially an automatic. You slam on your brakes for a red light, then you sit there with your foot on the brake pedal for a minute or so ... creating localized hot spots on the rotor, which leads to uneven pad material transfer and hard spots on the rotor. The pad transfer leads to slight brake shudder, and the hard spots wear differently, leading to high spots on the rotor. After a while, the slight shudder becomes a noticeable shake ...

And yes, some cars seem more prone to it than others. Some brakes are apparently smaller, thinner or lower quality metal.

Conditions like this may be the reason why two vehicles in the family exhibit this problem over time, one doesn't. The Sienna goes in a different direction most of the time.

Originally Posted by Srt20
But, have you ever had a rotor on a lathe and checked for straightness or warping?
I have alot of times. Look at the way a rotor is built. It just cant warp one spot and not crack or break or warp another area.

Totally true. A ventilated rotor cannot warp significantly due to its construction. My BIL used to have a contract with the local Sherriff's office and cut dozens of rotors every week for years. They just don't seem to warp.

And for years here I've been noting that many folks here have confused a PAD problem with a ROTOR issue...

Either myself or Discount Tire does the rotations, and we both use torque wrenches on the lugs. I'll clean the flange and guide pins on the calipers and lube. I'm going to try Autozone's gold rotors, supposed to be high carbon. 3 year warranty. This will be the second time I've done the brakes on this car, so I've never done a run out on the rotors, I just replace them. To the to the comment about the pad material transferring to the rotor surface to keep them from warping, the outcome is the same. Both will create the steering wheel shake. To the Nufinish comment, LOL!!

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I think brake shudder is just an eventual part of owning many cars, especially an automatic. You slam on your brakes for a red light, then you sit there with your foot on the brake pedal for a minute or so ... creating localized hot spots on the rotor, which leads to uneven pad material transfer and hard spots on the rotor. The pad transfer leads to slight brake shudder, and the hard spots wear differently, leading to high spots on the rotor. After a while, the slight shudder becomes a noticeable shake ...

And yes, some cars seem more prone to it than others. Some brakes are apparently smaller, thinner or lower quality metal.

Conditions like this may be the reason why two vehicles in the family exhibit this problem over time, one doesn't. The Sienna goes in a different direction most of the time.

The Sienna goes in a different direction?

Originally Posted by grampi

You said two cars do it one doesn't. So I'm thinking maybe it's conditions based. The one vehicle that does not exhibit this problem goes in a different direction every day. Does not drive the same roads. Does not have the same drivers smashing on the gas and then stomping on the brakes in traffic LOL

My Saturn liked to "warp" rotors -- if not warp then whatever it suffered from. I moved apartments and then replaced that car. I don't recall my VW ever having a problem. When I got my Camry (used) it definitely had a "warped" rotor. Finally did a brake job, had nice smooth brakes... for a month. Yep, it's back. Zero idea why. Maybe it's the type of car, dunno. The VW and Camry had the same driving habits, conditions, route. The Saturn was a stick, the VW was a stick, but this Camry is an automatic. I rarely have to ride the brakes hard to come to a stop, so they are never more than lukewarm.

I've been having the exact same problem with my 2011 Malibu. I used OEM AC Delco parts for the past two sets of pads/rotors.

New wheel bearing hubs last time, suspension good, cleaned the calipers, lubed the slide pins, wheels torqued to spec. The vibrations get worse as the rotors heat up, especially when its warmer out. 90% of the miles I log are highway miles too, so it's not like I'm always on the brakes.

Not really sure what to do about it. I can either live with it, or replace the brakes every year...

Originally Posted by Backstache
I've been having the exact same problem with my 2011 Malibu. I used OEM AC Delco parts for the past two sets of pads/rotors.

New wheel bearing hubs last time, suspension good, cleaned the calipers, lubed the slide pins, wheels torqued to spec. The vibrations get worse as the rotors heat up, especially when its warmer out. 90% of the miles I log are highway miles too, so it's not like I'm always on the brakes.

Not really sure what to do about it. I can either live with it, or replace the brakes every year...

Have you tried sanding the rotors? I wonder if pulling it apart, running some 80 grit on the surfaces, making sure the rotor sits flat on the hub, and making sure all the brake pad ears are nice and lubed, if that might avoid the cost of replacing anything.

Originally Posted by grampi

You said two cars do it one doesn't. So I'm thinking maybe it's conditions based. The one vehicle that does not exhibit this problem goes in a different direction every day. Does not drive the same roads. Does not have the same drivers smashing on the gas and then stomping on the brakes in traffic LOL

Actually two of our vehicles don't do this, the Sienna and a Yaris. My Corolla and my daughter's Cube both do it...

Last edited:
Personally I think it's cheap rotor materials, cheap pad materials, or both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back