API SN safe for TGDI?

Hello all,

Quick question. I have a 2015 Ford Edge Ecoboost 2.0. I have 6 qts. of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 sitting in my garage that I want to run in my next 5k oci. Manual calls for 5w-30 that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A. Just about all 5w-30's meet the spec, but I've been wanting to run 10w-30 for several reasons one being the noack % is half of what the 5w30 is. I've always like Pennzoil's PUP, but I noticed the 10w30 I have was formulated 6/2019. Its not GF-6 or SP. Its just SN GF-5, not even SN+.

Do you think its safe for 5,000 mile run? My main concern is LSPI with this being a Turbo GDI engine?

Thanks.

I would. I've used SN oils in my 18 ecoboost. When your vehicle was new there was no SN+.

I bought it used about 2 years ago. I've been running Rotella Gas Truck and PP 5w30 which is SN+. Just wanted to give 10w30 a try. Just got this batch off Amazon, didn't notice it was only SN.

Originally Posted by mdixon26288
I bought it used about 2 years ago. I've been running Rotella Gas Truck and PP 5w30 which is SN+. Just wanted to give 10w30 a try. Just got this batch off Amazon, didn't notice it was only SN.

Your owner's manual only recommends an oil that meets WSS-M2C946-A, using one that is SN but does not carry the spec is safe.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I would. I've used SN oils in my 18 ecoboost. When your vehicle was new there was no SN+.

↑↑↑↑↑ This right here. ↑↑↑↑↑

Originally Posted by mdixon26288
Hello all,

Quick question. I have a 2015 Ford Edge Ecoboost 2.0. I have 6 qts. of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30 sitting in my garage that I want to run in my next 5k oci. Manual calls for 5w-30 that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A. Just about all 5w-30's meet the spec, but I've been wanting to run 10w-30 for several reasons one being the noack % is half of what the 5w30 is. I've always like Pennzoil's PUP, but I noticed the 10w30 I have was formulated 6/2019. Its not GF-6 or SP. Its just SN GF-5, not even SN+.

Do you think its safe for 5,000 mile run? My main concern is LSPI with this being a Turbo GDI engine?

Thanks.

You may like it so much, that you'll want to buy more.

"Its not GF-6 or SP. Its just SN GF-5, not even SN+". None of those specs were available in 2015. What is the whoop about the Noack numbers? The engines fuel dilute the oil so no worry about the oil thickening out of grade.

Originally Posted by Alex38
I'd run it without hesitation.

I would not. There's much learned about how to control or lessen deposits, since SN years. Technology has advanced as did SN Plus and new arrival SP.

Use the latest specs. Why?...... it's a better developed oil for TGDI / GDI engines, here in the states anyways. I'm not talking another continent. We don't live there.

Back