Anything Good to Clean a Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Do any fuel additives help extend catalytic converter life or make them work better? My Beast passed smog, but the cat is fading; it was through the ringer with an oxygen sensor that went bad about a year ago.

If I could get it to pass smog two years from now I'd be ticked pink.

Your help is appreciated.

The catalytic converter on my Mercury Mystique was failing and the check engine light was coming on within 50 miles after reset. After trying a bunch of products and fuel injection cleaners, including some snake oil made nearby in Orchard Park, NY, and that CRC Emissions FI cleaner, it seemed that having a professional intake cleaning helped tremendously.

The light still comes on, but stays off for months and over a thousand miles (don't really drive the car much as I have a truck for work). The car still throws a code for the cat being below minimum standard when the light pops on, but NY doesn't do the tailpipe emissions thingy, and I recently passed inspection after resetting the computer and driving about 40 miles...

I just bumped the Cataclean thread I posted in, and I do not recommend the stuff at all, as stated, I had much better luck with a pro fuel induction service...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: andyd
Oh, it is not only possible, but I've done it. All you need is a sick coil. I got that stinkin' cat incandescent. You could almost look through it. After the muffler exploded , the matrix came out in hunks that were melted on the edges.

So it was a "pouring raw fuel directly into the catcon" type of pig rich running scenario??
'Zactly

They usually clean themselves.......
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
grin.gif

Yes, and we could only hope and wish that catalytic converters did the same.
frown.gif

I think they pretty much do (on the highway that is) Because they get nice and hot, and burn up all the impurities.

grin.gif

Yes, and we could only hope and wish that catalytic converters did the same.
frown.gif

I think they pretty much do (on the highway that is) Because they get nice and hot, and burn up all the impurities.

Yes, BUT if they are 'borderline' (i.e.; 49 state units in a CARB/50 state ECM spec'd system, even BRAND NEW), the codes WILL come right back, and the IM readiness will NEVER be complete for catcon efficiency.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob Woods
Some people swear by RxP fuel additive.
Yes.....seems there's a little bit of a fan base for the product online here and there....seems wayyy over priced, and really hard to find. I live in FL (where it's supposidely manufacturered....down in the Lauderdale area I think I recall reading).

What had me interested, is I read somewhere that the RxP additive uses some sort of "diesel additive" if I recall reading correctly (mind you....this was years ago....hehe).

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
How about MMO?
Nah....though MMO is good mild detergent, I don't think it'll clean a catalytic converter....likely most of the "detergency" flashes off before it gets to the cat.....

I was once told the best thing to clean a cat' is to simply drive it.....

A day or two before you test, change your oil, filter, air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter, etc....all the "easy" stuff....add some Berryman's CHEMTOOL to the tank (1 oz. per gallon of fuel.....) and just drive the vehicle......the day OF the test, drive the vehicle a good 30-40 minutes before going to the "test site" (i.e.: drive the long way around town to get there...); preferably highway miles too......and not stop and go miles.

Also you can disconnect the maf and run your car in "open loop" mode...which will heat the cat up hotter than normal which will help burn off more stubborn contaminates ..

CAUTION do not run in this mode at highway speed for more than 30 minutes at a time or possible damage to the substrate may result.

If you are concerned at about OBD-II codes for weak cats, there is a simple installation trick you can perform on your downstream O2 sensors to eliminate the codes. See

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=22162.

You can buy a pair of O2 extenders on ebay for less than $10 if you prefer not to drill out spark plug anti-foulers. See

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Oxygen-sensor-...m-/250964661164

but install the extenders on your DOWNSTREAM O2 sensors not the upstream sensors. (O2 extenders are also marketed as part of HHO fuel saving schemes; in this case they are installed on the upstream O2 sensors to lean out the air-fuel mixture.)

You can stack the O2 extenders with undrilled spark plug anti-foulers. Longer extenders ostensibly produce more attenuation in O2 readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back