Anyone seen one of these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corn lobby strikes again! Those poor corn farmers with their million dollar farming equipment..

Funny, they don't mention that your fuel consumption will increase compared to E10 or all-fuel, as ethanol has lower energy per oz than gasoline. Remember, you buy "gas" by the ounce.

Nor do they mention the energy cost of growing corn to be used as an Ethanol source in America (here in Canada, we make Ethanol out of waste material such as the stalks from Canola after you harvest the seed, and zero subsidies, yet the oil companies ... who own the distilleries that convert waste material to alcohol ... turn a profit from those operations. Think about that for a minute).

This morning gas in my city at Top Tier stations was $C 0.84.5/l = $US 0.62.8/l x 3.7 litres per USG = $US 2.32/gal
Costco is $C 0.08 cheaper per litre $C 0.76.5/l = $US 0.56.85 x 3.7 litres per USG = $2.10/gal

More distilleries are converting to a new bug that does not need the high sugar from corn. The bugs for the new process came from those making Sake and are moving to field stover. Most of the plants were going in the hole before they were able to sell the millers grains and now make more money from the grains than the booze.

I run E15 in the company ride when I get through the one town that sells it.
E15 has a different effect on me. No running after a fillup.

IIRC, My Nissan manual states that if I run anything greater than E10 say bye-bye to the engine and YOU - not NISSAN - are on the hook for the meltdown. IN fact ive read this is a few manuals.

I'm sure from time to time the ethanol % was much greather than 10 %. Just don't floor it and keep the rpm s low and the ecu should be able to compensate. Floor it and the engine will like be toasted and the injectors cant supply enough fuel - also the ecu was not programmed for the required A/F ratio below 9:1 when OPEN LOOP at WOT.

I would be surprised if any manufacturer recommends running E15 in their vehicle.

If it is so popular and in demand, why are corn prices at a 5 year low. Farmers aren't the ones benefiting from this.

And my personal favorite: if it costs $1.50 in energy to produce a $1.00 of ethanol, wouldn't we be better off going back to pure gas?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IIRC, My Nissan manual states that if I run anything greater than E10 say bye-bye to the engine and YOU - not NISSAN - are on the hook for the meltdown. IN fact ive read this is a few manuals.

I'm sure from time to time the ethanol % was much greather than 10 %. Just don't floor it and keep the rpm s low and the ecu should be able to compensate. Floor it and the engine will like be toasted and the injectors cant supply enough fuel - also the ecu was not programmed for the required A/F ratio below 9:1 when OPEN LOOP at WOT.
My 08 Camry manual says the same thing. But, pointy headed bureaucrats with degrees in "management" must know better.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
I would be surprised if any manufacturer recommends running E15 in their vehicle.

If it is so popular and in demand, why are corn prices at a 5 year low. Farmers aren't the ones benefiting from this.

And my personal favorite: if it costs $1.50 in energy to produce a $1.00 of ethanol, wouldn't we be better off going back to pure gas?
That's why the bureaucrats want to take away the choice.

If there is Government money to promote alternate energy, and someone wants to build an Ethanol plant in your local Congressman's district, what do you think will happen next? Mandated Ethanol content, maybe?

It doesn't have to make sense in a "Big Picture" way if someone can get free cash to build a plant and local politicians can push the employment / industry button. It's like a freight train, nothing you can do about it.

The Brad Wall effect. People is Sask. are "critical thinking" for the 1st time in decades, maybe because more young people are staying instead of leaving. For the longest time, all Manitoba and Saskatchewan exported was cereal crops and generations of young people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back