Anyone Have a Netgear Router, are they Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Netgear R6400 (first time with this brand) with Tomato open source firmware. Use it as a wireless access point for my Untangle UTM. Works great. No issues with distance or speed on any of my devices.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Went through 4 Netgear router/modems in 2015 (all failed).....no more netgear stuff for me.

I had a Netgear Router,lasted 1 year and it was faulty,no more for me.

I've had good luck with Linksys routers and they've lasted years.

My next router I want:
grin2.gif

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9O...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

My next router I want:
grin2.gif

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9O...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Interesting. I don't know much about the mesh WiFi stuff though. The AmpliFi router you linked, I have to wonder if it can cover a whole house without add'l units to form a mesh. It says it can and seems to have a very high satisfaction level. It looks very attractive and stylish, but needs to come in black as an option.

Spray paint. Any color you want.

Most houses will be well covered by one router near the center. If you have a mansion or want to cover outbuildings or outdoor areas, a more complicated system might be needed.

Most modern routers/AP will work fine. Some have advantages or features if you need
them. Check out thewirecutter dot com for reviews. It is one of the best places to
see how items stack up next to one another and help decide best value.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I agree with the above suggestion for the tp-link archer c7. One of the best routers for the money.

Yup, been using a C7 for years (aka AC1700) think its been replaced with new model by now but maybe can still buy it.
Been rock solid, never down, never needs to be reset, though I do reset it every few months ... just because.

I've been using a Netgear gateway/modem with a Netgear WAC510 business access point. They've both been rock solid for the seven months I've had them.

Having tried some of their entry level consumer stuff earlier, I will say it's a lot nicer dealing with Netgear's commercial side; solidly built and great customer service.

Forgot the model number, but I've got a netgear router that does 5G also and has worked flawlessly. Got wireless cameras, home security and garage door all going through it along with firestick, smarttv, Wii, 3 cell phones, two laptops and a printer.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as well, though it is a slightly different model (I think AC1900-R7000). I bought mine in late summer 2014 when it first came out for about $200. It has been great. I also really like the Genie desktop software and android app for monitoring and configuring the router.
I just ordered a refurb R7000. Planning to run Tomato on it, just because I am so used to the UI.

I have several of the Nighthawk hotspots, Unite explore hotspots, cradles, and various other network products. Their switches are pretty solid. The wireless products are flaky and unreliable. If you want something that is rock solid and stable, I would go with Ubiquiti products.

The Netgear hardware is OK if you can run open source firmware on it. Most Netgear products can't.

The current best value is the Unifi UAP-AP-Pro access point. Get as many as you need for your house or office. You should also get a Unifi cloud key to run the configuration software. They also sell a firewall/router called the Unifi Security gateway, and PoE switches if you don't want to run power injectors.

Last edited:
I just mail-ordered a TP-Link Archer CR700 refurb for $64. I plan to get rid of my Spectrum rental wifi modem/router when I get the archer. It's been a long time since I had a non rental, but I did use various Netgear and D-link, etc over the years. Never had a problem with either. The reason I've had rentals so long is because of the TWC/Spectrum home phone. That will be going away soon.

Personally I am more than happy with my TP-Link Archer C8. I had the C5 at my grandfathers place, he still has it and it still works perfectly My C8 has been working perfectly for the last 2 years as well, and my parents got a C9 last year and great as well. Netgear is ok but they tend to be more expensive for comparable performance than the equivalent TP-Link.

I had Netgear. It kept dropping wireless connections randomly after 1 year.

I just bought a TP link as well. So far so good.

Last edited:
The trusty new Archer C59 (discontinued in 2017) is happily cranking away with no reboots needed in I forget how long, and letting me VPN into it when away from home whenever I'm on an open (public) wifi and want an encyrpted tunnel. It's built-in OpenVPN support doesn't anonymize my home WAN IP but I don't need that. All I need is a reliable and safe VPN to hit so as to encrypt my traffic whenever I have to use public wifi and this cheapo C59 nails it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back