Anyone growing grapes in Zone 5?

By the way, I found the best way to eat seeded grapes is to take a mouthful, chew them up and after enjoying the pulp, spit out the wad of grape skin and seeds. Seedless grapes can be enjoyed one by one. :D
Your spitting out the most beneficial part of the grapes, the skin are anti-inflammatory and high in antioxidants, not to mention the fiber factor. ;)

Some Canadian farmers own land on this side, but very few if any USA farmers own land on Canada side.

We don't grow cane berries because the U-pick is so close, cheap and easy. I mean like 1/4 mile. We grow just specialty berries for fun and because retired.
Yes, us too when I was growing up in Oregon. We only grew vegetables in our garden, for fruits we went to the U-pick-it places. We grew some fairly giant zucchinis in our garden, they really like the NW soil and climate.

Looks like the grape plants survived the winter! My neighbouring grape expert mentioned that with young grape plants up here, a new shoot will be created and only after a few years will shoots from the buds show up in the spring. Two days ago there was nothing, and today I noticed these little guys.

F6AEED9F-5192-4220-AD78-8331C805E2D7.jpeg
274CA36D-864B-4059-8D7E-7C148F5D7BD8.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the grape plants survived the winter! My neighbouring grape expert mentioned that with young grape plants up here, a new shoot will be created and only after a few years will shoots from the buds show up in the spring. Two days ago there was nothing, and today I noticed these little guys.
Yay!!

My figs all made it. The two hearty varieties proved their worth - the one standard fig was froze to ground level and slowed. But leaves coming.

Back