Anyone else here driving something with CNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 2009 Impala today that runs on CNG. Had a few CNG cars 10 years ago but nothing since. Who else is driving one these days and have the number fueling stations changed?

2005 F-250 5.4L v8 originally just gasoline, but converted to bi-fuel CNG. There are lots more stations here in Oklahoma than there were 10 years ago. Current price is $1.57.

Most buses and trash trucks here have converted to CNG. Welcome relief from noise with the trash trucks when they do our street.

Last edited:
At work (a little biased, since it's a gas company)

4.8/5.3/6.0 V8 Express/Savanna vans (beat up but they're still going)

1.8 I4 9th gen Civics (God what POS these things are)

And I think we had a random 8th Gen Civic CNG, plus a handful of GM2500 and F250 CNGs running around, but there mostly obsoleted.

We've pretty much given up on them

I've seen they've got some new vehicles on test (Fusion Energi plug in, Leaf, Volt, Bolt, Prius Plug in)

Any of these beats a clapped out old Patriot with manual windows/locks and a CVT

About 120 of the buses at the depot I work out of are fuelled by CNG, and will be progressively replaced in the next 2-5yrs (by Volvos - diesels presently but that could change). They're lean-burn, so need a lot of upkeep with the ignition to stay running nicely. The turbos in these Mercedes-Benz vehicles are also negatively affected by the dryness and lack of lubricity in CNG fuel; the wastegates frequently stick or burn up - so they need reconditioned turbos every 1-2yrs. When the turbo goes on one of these, walking would be quicker, even on the flat.

Personally I think CNG or LPG (Propane) are good fuels. In Australia of strategic significance given most of our fuel supply is refined off-shore and we only have about 3wks in reserve if the sh*t hit the fan.
Additionally, the industry simply didn't work hard enough to dispel the old wive's tales about fuel consumption, performance loss, etc and so they've kinda missed the boat. They have a chance with hybrids, if they get their act together.

Electric is promising, but I don't think it is the be-all and end-all of technology right now, contrary to what a certain egotistical blow-hard might have us believe (he's only talking it up because he stands to benefit from the downfall of "Big Oil").

i ran propane in a truck one time. they say you lose 10 to 15 % power . but really it 20-25%. be cause a gaseous fuel takes up a LOT of space in the intake ports. WAY more than gasoline. but propane runs better than gasoline in the 20 to 60 % power range. but at 10 f degrees and down you have to let it warn up be fore you can drive.

They are still running on a gas fuel, rather than an atomised and then vapourised liquid fuel. The gas displaces air in the manifold, so always a powerloss.

CNG is always a vapor. You're thinking of LNG.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by Silk
They are still running on a gas fuel, rather than an atomised and then vapourised liquid fuel. The gas displaces air in the manifold, so always a powerloss.
There are Propane vehicles running around that inject liquid fuel, rather than vaporised with a Gas Converter. These have little to no power or efficiency loss; and in some cases the performance specifications are better than the motor running on petrol. Obviously having a vehicle designed to run gas from the factory (rather than dual fuel) would be a great help.

One of the oil & gas companies here runs CNG in both 1500 & HD series pickups
Set up to fill on the production lease or at a farmers coop in town where they live.

Originally Posted by B320i
Originally Posted by Silk
There are Propane vehicles running around that inject liquid fuel, rather than vaporised with a Gas Converter. These have little to no power or efficiency loss; and in some cases the performance specifications are better than the motor running on petrol. Obviously having a vehicle designed to run gas from the factory (rather than dual fuel) would be a great help.

If it's direct injection dual fuel you could do something similar to Mazda and have just as much efficiency on either fuel.

Sadly around here unless you are a large operator that buys propane once a year there is zero cost savings as the "gas" is just about the same price as the gasoline.

Even CNG is at best cost competitive in this market, now go back 2006-2012 and it offered major cost savings.

If fuel prices climb it is a worthwhile investment, but who knows when the $20b oil subsidy will get cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back