Anybody shop at an Aldi supermarket?

Originally Posted by eljefino
Big jars of salsa for ~$1.25. You can cook chili with it if you can't find any other purpose.

Do you have a recipe for the chili with their salsa in it? The salsa is good when making guacamole also.

Originally Posted by atikovi
They could at least put a change machine by the carts.

That costs money. And then a few posters would complain that the change machine didn't work when it was out of quarters.
Seriously, since you get the quarter back every time you bring the cart back, having a single quarter stored somewhere in your car shouldn't be that difficult.

Yeah, keeping a quarter in the car or on one's self isn't that hard, but TBH I stopped keeping change in my vehicles at least 10 years ago, and recently stopped carrying change in my wallet also.

Aldi is not cheaper for loss leader items, like eggs, bread and milk. They are a lot cheaper for things we buy a lot of, usually 10-30%. Things like Artisan lettuce, mini carrots, ketchup, hummus, apples, onions, and produce items in general. They are even cheaper for sugar, flour, spices, and other baking goods. And getting out is a lot faster than Kroger, Meijer, etc.

Last edited:
I do all the time.

We tried their New York strips for the first time a few weeks ago. I thought they were very good and a toss up between them and a local butcher we have right down the road.

Originally Posted by NO2
Aldi is not cheaper for loss leader items, like eggs, bread and milk. They are a lot cheaper for things we buy a lot of, usually 10-30%. Things like Artisan lettuce, mini carrots, ketchup, hummus, apples, onions, and produce items in general. They are even cheaper for sugar, flour, spices, and other baking goods. And getting out is a lot faster than Kroger, Meijer, etc.

Well you don't have to even go into a Kroger or a Wal-Mart because of "online pickup" I do not see Aldi doing pickup anytime soon. Aldi will battle it out with Dollar General and Save-A-Lot, which are far more numerous.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the store. There are two stores within 3 miles of my house. One of them offers a dozen eggs for less than $0.50. The other offers the same eggs, from the same supplier for approximately 2x that amount, which is competitive with Wal*Mart.

So it's hard to make a blanket statement as each store seems to have some autonomy on how they will price items.

Both are convenient to me, and I keep my eye on those staple items and stock up (with in reasonable limits) when one is offering a deal over other options. I can use a dozen eggs in no time, so getting 2 or 3 dozen makes sense when they are sub $0.50 per.

Originally Posted by NO2

I've never actually bought anything at an Aldi's, but I've walked through one and I saw a bunch of off brand items, with very, very few name brand items. That was enough to keep me from shopping there...

Originally Posted by grampi
I've never actually bought anything at an Aldi's, but I've walked through one and I saw a bunch of off brand items, with very, very few name brand items. That was enough to keep me from shopping there...

For the most part they're products are pretty decent. And they stand behind their products. They're similar to the Great Value food products at Walmart.

https://www.aldi.us/en/about-aldi/twice-as-nice-guarantee/

Like javacontour, I've found it depends on the store. The produce tends to be a good deal, but other than that, I've found house brand items at the big stores to be often priced better than Aldi.

Originally Posted by supton
Yeah, keeping a quarter in the car or on one's self isn't that hard, but TBH I stopped keeping change in my vehicles at least 10 years ago, and recently stopped carrying change in my wallet also.

I started keeping a quarter under the cover of my center console for Aldi trips but to be honest I find I tend to not need it very often. More often than not I have someone give me their cart and they don't want my quarter in exchange. And before anyone asks, yes I do pass it on.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I love Aldi. However avoid most the "fresh" produce, unless you are going to eat it that day or the next. It's not very fresh. Their cereal and ice cream sucks too. Everything else there that I have tried I like.

Agree completely.

Guess my experience is different. Aldi's in my town has the best produce, period. We have a super wally world and their produce is nasty, won't last a day. Have found Aldi's meats are really good. One thing I don't like is their pizza's. Don't know what it is, but they are just not that good. I even brought one into work and cooked it at lunch and let my co-workers eat some. Unanimous...it is not that good.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

For the most part they're products are pretty decent. And they stand behind their products. They're similar to the Great Value food products at Walmart.

https://www.aldi.us/en/about-aldi/twice-as-nice-guarantee/

I have certain brand name products that I like and I'm going to shop where I can get those brands...if it costs me a little extra, then so be it...

Last edited:
I have certain brand name products that I like and I'm going to shop where I can get those brands...if it costs me a little extra, then so be it...
Therefore you do not fall under Aldi's desired demographic. They're looking for customers who are not brand loyal.

Aldi near us is garbage, across the street is Lidl and we love it. Both German chains but the Lidl offers some great stuff and their Lidl brand stuff, some of it just outstanding, I dont know how they do it but their products are top shelf quality at a low cost.

Last edited:
Back